现金
222032 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-11-10 
最后登录
2023-5-7 

元帅勋章 功勋会员 小花 管理员或超版 荣誉之星 勤于助新 龙的传人 大财主勋章 白衣天使 旺旺勋章 心爱宝宝 携手同心 驴版 有声有色 东北版 美食大使 幸福四叶草 翡翠丝带 健康之翼 幸福风车 恭喜发财 人中之龙

发表于 2001-12-7 20:45
Thu Dec 6 01:36:00 PST 2001

FAMILY PEOPLE: OUR BABY GOT HIS LIFE FOR CHRISTMAS

After developing hepatitis at birth, doctors said Charlie Tobey would be dead within days. But then he received the best Christmas present ever - his life. SUSANNA GALTON reports...

ITTLE Charlie Tobey takes a few wobbly steps towards the mountain of presents sitting beneath the Christmas tree. His parents Rachel and Chris spent ages choosing what to buy him, even though it's really the wrapping paper Charlie can't wait to get his tiny fists on.

But Rachel and Chris don't mind. They're determined to have their best Christmas ever - because this time last year, they didn't think their little boy would live to see it.

"Last Christmas was an emotional roller-coaster," says Rachel, 30. "Instead of dreaming about taking Charlie home from hospital I had to think about his funeral."

Rachel and Chris, from Woolhope, Herefordshire, had been trying for a baby for five years before Rachel became pregnant. "When I did, we were delighted," she says. "He was such a longed-for baby."

Rachel happily sailed through her pregnancy until, at 36 weeks, a midwife suspected she had jaundice.

Rachel, a sales manager, was taken to Hereford County Hospital, where doctors confirmed she had contracted a liver complaint. She needed an emergency Caesarean to get the baby out as soon as possible.

"Chris rushed over and came into the theatre with me," she says. "I was petrified as I'd always planned a natural birth."

On December 12 last year, Charlie entered the world weighing 5lb 12oz.

"I felt sick from all the drugs, but as soon as I heard my baby crying I was overcome with relief."

Charlie was taken off to intensive care because he was jaundiced, but Rachel didn't panic as jaundice is very common in babies.

Then doctors discovered Rachel had giant cell hepatitis, a rare but still treatable type of hepatitis.

She says: "I felt fine. My only worry was Charlie, but I was convinced he'd be home for Christmas. Chris bought two enormous trees to welcome us home with."

But, a week before Christmas, Charlie took a turn for the worse. His blood refused to clot - a sign his liver was not functioning. He was transferred to the Diana, Princess of Wales Children's Hospital in Birmingham.

"When we arrived the nurses were lovely and the wards were cheerfully decorated with tinsel and snowmen, but all I wanted to do was take my Charlie home," says Rachel.

"One mum there told me her little girl had been waiting months for a transplant and it suddenly hit me how seriously ill Charlie might be."

After numerous blood tests, Charlie's condition was still baffling the doctors so, three days before Christmas, he was taken to surgery for a biopsy.

"On Christmas Eve, Charlie was diagnosed as having giant cell hepatitis - the same as me. The consultant couldn't believe it. In all medical history the disease had never crossed the placenta before.

"And while my liver was strong enough to take medication, Charlie's was too tiny," says Rachel.

Then she plucked up courage to ask how long her son had left. The reply was devastating - one week.

His only chance was a liver transplant and he was put on the national urgent list for donors.

"We couldn't really take it all in," says Rachel. "Chris and I sat simply holding one another while a transplant co-ordinator talked us through the process. I went home that night and wrapped up the little cot mobile I'd bought for Charlie, not sure he'd ever get to see it.

"Then I climbed into the bath and sobbed my eyes out. I couldn't help feeling that it was MY fault Charlie was ill, because I'd passed the illness on to him."

Early next morning, on Christmas Day, Rachel and Chris returned to the hospital. "I took Charlie his mobile and gave him a little cuddle, all the time thinking that this time next year he would be gone.

"After that, we went off to the Christmas service at the hospital chapel. I prayed for Charlie and miraculously, when the service ended, the consultant and the transplant co-ordinator were waiting for us."

The news was good - an organ had been found and it was likely to be suitable. "I was elated," says Rachel. "Even though the doctors remained cautious, I somehow knew Charlie would survive. It really felt like a gift from heaven."

Sure enough, that night the organ of a five-year- old boy, who had tragically died of meningitis, was confirmed suitable for Charlie. And on Boxing Day, the 12-hour transplant operation took place.

"It was the longest day in my life and I cried with relief when the surgeon told us it had gone well."

For the next six days it was touch and go as Charlie remained in intensive care. But, at the end of January, Rachel and Chris were allowed to take him home. One year on, Charlie is a chirpy bundle of trouble.

"He'll have to take anti-rejection drugs for the rest of his life. But apart from that he's the same as every other happy, smiling, naughty boy," says Rachel.

"The donor's parents asked to remain anonymous, but I've written and told them that if they want to be part of Charlie's life they can be. I've so much to thank them for.

"Charlie's life is the very best Christmas present in the world."

At Rachel and Chris's request, the Sunday People Magazine has made a donation to Hereford Hospital.

God Made Everything That Has Life. Rest Everything Is Made In China
‹ 上一主题|下一主题

肝胆相照论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 10:15 , Processed in 0.015036 second(s), 12 queries , Gzip On.