现金
222032 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-11-10 
最后登录
2023-5-7 

元帅勋章 功勋会员 小花 管理员或超版 荣誉之星 勤于助新 龙的传人 大财主勋章 白衣天使 旺旺勋章 心爱宝宝 携手同心 驴版 有声有色 东北版 美食大使 幸福四叶草 翡翠丝带 健康之翼 幸福风车 恭喜发财 人中之龙

发表于 2001-12-25 06:33
Olympics not as tough as fight for survival

Snowboarder Klug back in hunt for gold medal after winning life-threatening battle with liver disease.

By David Woods

[email protected]

December 23, 2001

SALT LAKE CITY -- Chris Klug, 29, is the daredevil type so attracted to a sport like snowboarding. That he was diagnosed with a rare liver disease did little to influence his outlook.

For seven years, he was asymptomatic. That only increased his perception of invincibility.

He qualified for the Nagano Winter Olympics in 1998, and a medal surely awaited him at Salt Lake City in 2002.

"Frankly, I took a pretty confident, cocky attitude. 'Hey, this disease isn't going to beat me. They don't know what they're talking about,' " Klug said.

Doctors did know. Klug became desperately ill. A miracle wasn't required to save him, but a liver transplant was. Recovery was miraculous.

He had the transplant in July 2000. Four days later, he was out of the hospital. Seven weeks later, he was on a snowboard. Five months later, he was on the podium of a World Cup event. Six months later, he was on top of the podium.

Klug had reacted defiantly when first diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis, a disease of the bile ducts. There is no known source or cure.

Klug resolved to overcome it through diet. Through exercise. Through force of will.

"The bottom line is, this disease has a mind of its own," he said. "When it decides to turn, it turns."

The disease turned against him at the start of the 1999-2000 season, which had promised to be one of his best. He awoke one night and felt as if a dagger had been plunged into his side.

Physical pain was almost tolerable compared to the sense of foreboding. The worst day was one in early November while driving on Highway 6 near Price, Utah. He was en route from his home in Aspen, Colo., to Salt Lake City when he heard the radio report.

Walter Payton was dead. The pro football great had lost a fight against the same disease now ravaging the snowboarder.

"I pulled over and was crying for the first time ever. Literally just asking myself what did this mean for me," Klug said. "I was under the impression that PSE patients didn't die. I was scared to death."

Klug's condition worsened. A five-minute workout would leave him exhausted.

Advancing to the top of the transplant list didn't guarantee a new liver. Patients die while waiting. Often, Klug thought he would be among them.

Finally, he was paged while back in Aspen. There was a donor. He would have the surgery in Denver. The wait was over but not the anxiety.

"You're facing a surgery you might not make it through," Klug said. "It's not exactly something you look forward to."

Afterward, all he looked forward to was resuming normal activity. For him, normal is sliding down snow-capped mountains on a stiff, narrow board.

He alarmed doctors with his post-operation zeal. They wanted restraint. He wanted action.

What could doctors say, though? The liver was a perfect match, with no significant infections or rejection episodes.

He received reassurance from the San Antonio Spurs' Sean Elliott, another liver transplant recipient. They were brought together by the Spurs' David Robinson, who owns a home in Aspen.

Klug soon was on a glacier in Mount Hood, where he first began skiing in his native Oregon. He'll never have a more glorious feeling. Not even if he wins Olympic gold.

"I'm just so grateful to be up there making turns," he recalled. "Not caring about getting ready. Not caring about competitions coming up. Or how my liver was doing. Just a perfect day."

Klug went on to record four top-three finishes on the World Cup circuit in 2001, and he was sixth in giant slalom at the World Championships. He had an inauspicious 42nd-place finish to open this World Cup season Dec. 10 at Whistler, British Columbia.

However, he has endured worse. Head-to-head qualifying at the Olympics in parallel giant slalom won't be as intimidating as fighting for survival, Klug said.

He hopes these Olympics not only provide a medal, but also a forum in which to encourage organ donation.

"Certainly my plan is to come here and not just be the first transplant patient in the Olympics," Klug said, "but to come here and win."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call David Woods at 1-317-444-6195.
God Made Everything That Has Life. Rest Everything Is Made In China
‹ 上一主题|下一主题

肝胆相照论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-23 03:35 , Processed in 0.018537 second(s), 12 queries , Gzip On.