肝胆相照论坛

肝胆相照论坛 论坛 English&English 存档 1 what can we do?
查看: 1110|回复: 12

what can we do? [复制链接]

现金
476 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2005-8-21 
最后登录
2010-7-19 
发表于 2005-9-7 07:01

we can't get sympathy from others but discrimination. In fact we need no sympathy and we want is justice. But we are put at a disadvantage in China. what can we do? only struggle silently. Is that right?

[em20]

[此贴子已经被作者于2005-9-7 22:05:16编辑过]

现金
2217 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-10-22 
最后登录
2009-12-15 
发表于 2005-9-7 10:57
No, the truth is to die silently[em02]
Let life be beautiful like summer flowers and death like autumn leaves.

现金
222032 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-11-10 
最后登录
2023-5-7 

元帅勋章 功勋会员 小花 管理员或超版 荣誉之星 勤于助新 龙的传人 大财主勋章 白衣天使 旺旺勋章 心爱宝宝 携手同心 驴版 有声有色 东北版 美食大使 幸福四叶草 翡翠丝带 健康之翼 幸福风车 恭喜发财 人中之龙

发表于 2005-9-7 22:14

Go there and post your comments. It will make different.

http://www.asianlabour.org/archives/000848.php

Asian Labour News

An online database of news about workers in Southeast Asia and China and the issues that affect them

February 12, 2004

China: Hepatitis B and workplace discrimination

Fiona Pollard, an English teacher in Jiangxi, has posted an excellent overview of hepatitis B (HBV) in China and the problems carriers face in getting employment. I was aware that HBV was a problem, but had no idea of the scale. She links to sources estimating 700 million Chinese people have been affected. She also notes the "difficulties that HBV carriers have in finding jobs, [and] points out that most government departments will not employ them, and that most private companies ask for a blood test (but that many candidates cheat)." Readers of Chinese might like to look at the very popular HBVHBV Forum, where over 20,000 carriers have registered to discuss issues related to their plight.

Source: Fiona Pollard, "HVB," Life in Jiangxi, 11 February 2004.

Posted by Stephen Frost at February 12, 2004 01:01 PM | TrackBack [br]
Comments

The Southern Weekend had a number of articles on this at Christmas, the most in-depth being this one[br]http://www.nanfangdaily.com.cn/zm/20031225/xw/tb/200312250707.asp[br]and if you look at the index for that issue here[br]http://www.nanfangdaily.com.cn/zm/20031225/[br]there are a number of relevant articles. All in Chinese, though. Can't remember anything specifically labour-related though.

Roddy

Posted by: Roddy at February 12, 2004 09:11 PM

Thanks for the URLs, Roddy. It's not an issue I've followed all that closely, but it's clearly important. Fiona did a nice job and I'll keep a lookout for material when it pops up.

Posted by: Stephen at February 12, 2004 09:33 PM

I am a Hepatitis B Virus Carrier, And in china mailand there is no law to protect our basic labor right! All company I applied for told me clearlly that they would ask me a hepatitis B virus test, if I was a carrier , they would not to take me in!! I can not find a job after 14 years hard study. [br][br]We, 120000000 chinese people need your concern and help!

Posted by: peali at April 5, 2004 11:14 AM

China government effectively sends all HBV carriers to death gate by closing their employment door to the HBV carriers while giving to them no life-sustaining welfare.

HBV is a problem of life or blood.

Posted by: S A at April 5, 2004 11:19 AM

hi,I am a hbver.[br]I can't find a job if I am not cheat in body examine.[br]We are almost crazy![br]I had want to kill some human,but I have not enough courage.[br]I am pride with yichao.zhou.

http://zhouyichao.netor.com/

Posted by: at April 5, 2004 11:30 AM

I am a HBVer.I want to tell the world HBVers live very hard in China.We are discriminated when we want to get jobs.Almost all the company will refuse us.Do you know how many HBVer there are in china?At least 100 million.[br]We need the help from the world.

Posted by: fire at April 5, 2004 11:33 AM

yes,i am a hbver,i don't think it is problem. The problem is ourselves. We could not only depend on goverment but ourselves,if we are really need a job or good future. We should united together for a new enterprise even it is small at beginning.I love life and my family, i don't let them down only i am a hbver i like show my power through my hard work and effort, i sure that i can get it. So also do everyone,hbver. Trust yourself that is the only way you go ahaed forward.

Posted by: mikle at April 5, 2004 11:48 AM

mikle, I can hardly aggree with you, not all of us can start a carreiw by himself.Anyway, if you can, you are so luck.but most of us are the victim of HBV discrimination in china mainland!

Posted by: peali at April 5, 2004 11:54 AM

I am a HBV in China.[br]I have meet many promblems in China.[br]the fact that hurt me deeply is this story:[br]I had a boyfriend 2 years ago, when his family knew that I am a HBV, every one in his family disagree we continue our love, finally he left me,only because my HBV. they do not want a patient(they think so, but in fact I am not a patient,I am healthy.)[br]many lovers in China cannot get marry, only because one of them is a HBV.[br]I hate this fact, I do not know why. Maybe the people in China do not know what is HBV rightly, I hope you can tell all Chinese people that HBV is not so terrible as they think.

Posted by: della at April 5, 2004 12:21 PM

In recently years the discrimation against hepatitis B Virus carrier is becoming more and more severe. Most of employers in China, includeing the govermnent,state-owned companies and filiations of multinationals in China, require that their workers dont carry hepatitis B Virus. If one of them are found to have this virus in his body in annual physical examinations,he will be fired immediately.

In china there is one Hepatitis B Virus carrier among ten persons average. So such discrimination makes a lot of persons lose job opportunity and caused a lot of social problems. In last year a young college student, Zhou Yichao, killed an official by knife because he is refused by the local government because of the virus in his body. A young graduate of Xi'an Jiaotong University suicided in despair due to the pressure of Hepatitis B virus discrimination.

Posted by: Wang at April 5, 2004 12:36 PM

I am a hbver,i feel sad because of this terrible virus.IN CHINA ,we can't be treated fairly.we lose the basic rights of life、work、marriage.we work hard and study hard,however,we get nothing.what is our future?I Struggle for my basic rights,but i failed .please pay more attention to our crying,eliminate the discrimination.

Posted by: xiangwang at April 5, 2004 01:03 PM

Thank you everyone for commenting on this issue. I've posted a comment on the site today so that regular readers have the opportunity to see this discussion.

Posted by: Stephen Frost at April 5, 2004 02:27 PM

I hope more and more foreign human right agencies start to pay attention to the HBV discrimination problem in China. I dont think Chinese govenment will solve this probelm themselves, instead, someone else has to force them to do it.

I am a chinese in US, but I am afraid of go back to China, even I would like to very much. I do love my country! But does the country love me???

Posted by: ODMA at August 12, 2004 10:12 AM

I am deeply touched by the flight of HBV carriers in China. I am a parent with 2 lovely boys who are carriers too. I have gone through so much each time, I need to get a checkup for the kids. Ya we need to get together and make people around us realise that they can be protected by going for vaccination and that the disease is not as horrifying as they thought it to be. God bless all of you. We have just one life and I believe by sharing our experiences, we hope to be able to encourage one another and help each one out.[br]peter

Posted by: peter at August 28, 2004 05:58 PM
Post a comment
[br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br]
Remember personal info?[br]Yes
[br][br][br] [br][br]
[

[此贴子已经被作者于2005-9-7 9:16:36编辑过]

God Made Everything That Has Life. Rest Everything Is Made In China

现金
222032 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-11-10 
最后登录
2023-5-7 

元帅勋章 功勋会员 小花 管理员或超版 荣誉之星 勤于助新 龙的传人 大财主勋章 白衣天使 旺旺勋章 心爱宝宝 携手同心 驴版 有声有色 东北版 美食大使 幸福四叶草 翡翠丝带 健康之翼 幸福风车 恭喜发财 人中之龙

发表于 2005-9-7 22:19

Does China Also Need to Import Compassion?

By Hou Jie
Special to The Epoch Times
Apr 04, 2004

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton, center, listens to a speech at the opening of a new AIDS research center in Beijing. Would China have shown compassion for AIDS victims without the stimulus of Western leaders and Western social trends? Photo Greg Baker/AFP/Getty Images

Whenever the Spring Festival comes around, the community I live in always has several business owners simultaneously start fundraising activities. They will either help children who have lost the chance to go to school in the countryside in China, or raise money for an orphanage of sick children or the impoverished western regions of China. I will participate as long as I have time. However, after a while, I keep having doubts about the integrity of these types of things. After going through the internal struggles of the Cultural Revolution, and through a communist education which instilled class struggles into people’s minds at a very young age, do we Chinese, or to be more exact, does this generation of Chinese still have compassion?

One of my friends said, “Of course.” He gave me two examples. One is that Chinese people provide help to AIDS patients. On China’s annual AIDS day, we can feel such compassion by reading those warm and comforting words from Chinese media. The other case was in 2002. Liu Haiyang from Qinghua University spread a caustic chemical on a bear. Public opinion was that this was bad behavior from Liu Haiyang. This supposedly affirmed that the Chinese public has compassion towards animals.

My friend even stated firmly that if people can express their compassion towards a high number of AIDS patients and if people can be compassionate towards animals, then, there is no reason to doubt that Chinese people will certainly have compassion towards their fellow human beings. However, from what I remember, at the very beginning, it seemed like we did not have much compassion towards those who had AIDS and to those animals. We even discriminated against those AIDS patients based on moral and social codes. It was around the time I was in college, when we began to hear the term AIDS. At that time, AIDS was only a far-fetched story, and a very scary one at that. But we could not feel its threat. AIDS even became the subject of jokes.

Yet, AIDS appeared in China almost overnight. AIDS was finally no longer a far-fetched story. Instead, it became a real thing that happened among Chinese people. I remember during the 1980’s, the most common term for cursing someone was saying you wished that person had AIDS. A well-known female singer from the previous generation once spread rumors saying that another well-known female singer, who was of the younger generation, had AIDS. It caused a phenomenon that almost had to be brought to the courts. If someone truly had AIDS, that person would suffer not only physically but also mentally. He would be driven out of people’s lives.

There was once a report about a doctor who came back from Africa. Since he was infected with AIDS, he was separated in the hospital and could not stay in the small town he lived in any more. Another case was with a peasant who was infected through a blood transfusion, and was viewed by others as taboo. No one wanted to associate with him. Nobody even dared to accept the money he handed over while he was buying vegetables. The only way for many AIDS patients to survive was to leave home, hide their identities, and stop associating with their friends ever again.

To tell the truth, at that time, the stories about AIDS patients were really very chilling ones. People’s attitude toward AIDS was stubborn. One such case is that of Doctor Gao Yaojie from Henan Province. She went to Shangcai County from Zhengzhou by paying out of her own pocket. Her purpose was to help those hundred or so AIDS patients in a village. Yet, once there, she didn’t get any compassionate assistance from anyone. On the contrary, she got discrimination and pressure from both the government and the local population.

Regarding Chinese people’s attitude toward animals, the number of uncompassionate scenarios would be too numerous to mention one by one. The movement of killing sparrows almost made this kind of bird go extinct. In China, there were also nation-wide movements to kill cats and dogs. During the mid-1990s, I lived in Zhongshan, Guangdong Province. The local people regarded having a dog as a pet to be part of a bourgeois lifestyle.

It was the end of the 1990s when people began to show their compassion towards AIDS patients and animals. That trend of dedication actually came to China from abroad.

From what I remember, the most effective one was an activity to help AIDS patients. Americans exhibited thousands of pairs of shoes—once worn by AIDS patients—on Capital Hill in Washington, D.C., to mourn AIDS deaths, and to appeal to the government and the public to pay attention to AIDS and the survivals of AIDS patients. Those thousands of pairs of shoes were displayed in the square on Capitol Hill, and made a very spectacular scene. It left a deep impression on me. The idea of compassion for AIDS patients was brought into China through the media. Meanwhile, the overseas protection of wild animals, for instance, the Animal Protection Association, was also introduced to China. The Chinese people began to have the thought of having compassion towards AIDS patients and animals.

By the end of the 1990s, in the small community I lived in you began to see more and more people strolling with dogs. Having dogs as pets was no longer considered a “bourgeoisie life style.” Instead, it became a sign of affection. On the contrary, people like me who do not have pets were often viewed as having no affection. In fact, I look at those activities of displaying care for AIDS patients and pets as following what’s “trendy,” or “following the crowd.” I am not convinced at all that that is real compassion. Providing help to those AIDS patients and protection to small fawns is merely an imported vogue that seems ideal and appealingly exotic.

If you still do not believe me, let’s take a look at the plight of those who have been infected with hepatitis B and hepatitis B virus carriers. It is said that the total number of hepatitis B and hepatitis B virus carriers in China is as high as 120 million. A well-known Chinese medical doctor once said, “Hepatitis B is a result of the three-year famine in the early 1960s.” I am a medical layman, so I won’t affirm or deny this claim. However, just looking at the numbers, China for sure has a high number of people with this disease. To a certain extent, we can probably say hepatitis B is a homegrown disease in China. Chinese people learned to express their compassion to AIDS patients and pets. Yet, since the United States does not have hepatitis B, the Chinese people are ignorant of the very idea of showing compassion towards hepatitis B patients. As a result, while the Chinese people are showing their great compassion to AIDS patients and pets, they are neglecting the hepatitis B patients in their own country.

In April 2003, Zhou Yichao, from Jiaxing, Zhejiang Province, wanted to take a civil service examination. Because he was found to be HB-positive with hepatitis B virus carriers, he was not allowed to take the examination. Zhou Yichao got so angry that he took a knife and stabbed to death the government worker who was in charge of the exam and matriculation. This event drew people’s attention to hepatitis B patients. In fact, the hepatitis B virus carriers have become a special group in China. Because hepatitis B is contagious, patients have great trouble finding jobs, marrying, or associating with friends. What Zhou Yichao encountered was a discrimination policy that was actually put in place by the Chinese government. The compassion toward AIDS patients and pets by the Chinese government and the Chinese people does not extend to these hepatitis B patients. These 120 million people have become outcasts among China’s huge population.

From the hepatitis B patients, not only do we see Chinese people’s lack of compassion, we can even see collective apathy, discrimination and thoughtlessness. People do not realize that this group of people also needs to be treated with compassion.

The reason that Chinese people show their compassion toward AIDS patients and pets is because the Americans have compassionate organizations and certain cultural notions. The reason that Chinese people do not show their compassion toward hepatitis B patients is because the Americans do not have enough hepatitis B patients to show compassion towards. That is, there are barely any hepatitis B patients in the United States and the number of hepatitis B patients is so low that people can lose sight of the number.

So then, when will the people of China show their compassion towards hepatitis B patients? I guess we probably have to wait for a break out of the hepatitis B virus in the United States, at that time, Capitol Hill will have another shoe-exhibit. I imagine the Chinese government and the Chinese people might begin to chase the fashions again.

现金
222032 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-11-10 
最后登录
2023-5-7 

发表于 2005-9-7 22:22
The current system and education only make people lack of care and compassion.

现金
222032 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-11-10 
最后登录
2023-5-7 

发表于 2005-9-7 22:26
Hepatitis B Carriers Still Suffering Discrimination

Discrimination against carriers of the hepatitis B virus (HBV) is still a severe problem, said Weng Xinhua, an expert from the Chinese Medical Association, at a meeting held on Wednesday.

About 52 percent of the 425 hepatitis B patients in a survey conducted by Britain's Synovate Healthcare said they once lost a job or educational chance because of their disease. Some 47 percent worry their employers might lay them off if they discover they have HBV.

The survey was conducted in Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Wuhan and Shenyang.

However, China has made some progress in protecting the rights of (HBV) carriers, said Weng.

The Ministry of Personnel and the Ministry of Health revised national standards covering health qualifications for public servants, saying that HBV carriers who do not show symptoms can still apply for jobs.

In early 2004, Zhang Xianzhu successfully sued the Wuhu municipal personnel bureau in Anhui Province, winning the country's first job discrimination case involving the rights of non-infectious HBV carriers.

Central China's Hunan Province rescinded its regulation barring the employment of HBV carriers as public servants last year.

The amended Chinese Prevention and Treatment of Infectious Diseases, which prohibits companies and persons from discriminating against HBV carriers, went into effect on December 1.

China has 120 million HBV carriers -- nearly one 10th of its population -- and 30 million have become active patients, said Weng.

(China Daily January 20, 2005)

现金
6283 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2002-8-19 
最后登录
2010-12-16 

荣誉之星

发表于 2005-9-8 10:42

Not sympathy but empathy

Welcome to English Forum, anything in English

现金
476 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2005-8-21 
最后登录
2010-7-19 
发表于 2005-9-8 10:58

we don't fear death, anyway, it is a part of life and no one can avoid it. But we are forced to fear discrimination. there are so much we have to suffer. we are deprived of the right of equal opportunity to hunt for a job. we don't dare to court our lovers just because we are afraid of their looking down upon us. we have to make great efforts to earn more money for drug which is needed by our livers...

it is destiny. I curse my luck!

现金
2217 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-10-22 
最后登录
2009-12-15 
发表于 2005-9-8 11:19

Thank liver411!

The only possible method, in my opinion, is to submit articles to important oversea media, esp. in america, having great influence. Depend on their impact on public to change multinational companies' behavior in china. That's it.

you should wait 10,000 years until china government take some action. Don't put your hope on foreign organizations' power of moving this cool-blooded bureaucracy, esp. power of voice.

They don't care about us--------Michael Jackson

现金
2217 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-10-22 
最后登录
2009-12-15 
发表于 2005-9-8 11:28
even not empathy but just equality.
‹ 上一主题|下一主题

肝胆相照论坛

GMT+8, 2024-10-2 10:24 , Processed in 0.019674 second(s), 12 queries , Gzip On.