现金
222032 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-11-10 
最后登录
2023-5-7 

元帅勋章 功勋会员 小花 管理员或超版 荣誉之星 勤于助新 龙的传人 大财主勋章 白衣天使 旺旺勋章 心爱宝宝 携手同心 驴版 有声有色 东北版 美食大使 幸福四叶草 翡翠丝带 健康之翼 幸福风车 恭喜发财 人中之龙

发表于 2001-11-29 05:43
NewsBank InfoWeb

Chicago Tribune

芝加哥论坛报

Chicago Tribune

December 24, 2000

A DAUGHTER'S HAND TOUCHES A MOTHER'S HEART

女儿的手触动了母亲的心

Author (作者):  Marybeth Lambe. Special to the Tribune. Marybeth Lambe is a freelance writer and family practice doctor who lives in Redmond, Wash. (作者是芝加哥论坛报的特约自由作家和华盛顿州Redmond市的一名家庭医生)

Edition: Chicagoland Final

Section: Health & Family

Page: 1

Index Terms:

PARENT

CHILD

FAMILY

HANDICAPPED

ANECDOTE

Article Text:

文章:

Parenting eight children is a struggle at best, and sometimes, sometimes I just blow it.

养育八个孩子是人生最好的挑战. 有时候, 我是说有时候我也做错事情.

Our family includes three children adopted, at an older age, from China. Each of them had waited many years for a forever family. But a handicap or an illness and, eventually, their age had caused them to be passed over. MeiMei arrived home a year ago, her only special needs a missing left hand and mild hepatitis B.

我们的家庭包括三名从中国领养来的孩子. 他们来的时候年龄都比较大了, 因为没有一个适合的家庭接纳他们, 他们都等了很久. 但是残疾, 疾病, 事实上年龄的长大都使他们失去多次机会. 美美是一年前来到我家的, 她唯一比别人不足的是轻度感染乙肝和失去了左手.

Right now MeiMei is tugging at my shirt, whispering urgently, but all I notice is the loud pounding coming from the boys' room. Are they trying to dig through the floor? I pat MeiMei absently on her head, my attention already focused on whatever chaos the boys are creating.

此刻, 美美正揪着我的衣角, 在我耳边着急地小声小叨地说着什么. 但是我的注意力却在另一个房间, 我拍了拍美美的头, 想去弄清楚男孩子们在捣什么鬼.

"I'll be right back, honey," I assure her, barely registering her crestfallen expression.

“我就回来, 宝贝” 我和她说, 并没有注意到她沮丧的面孔.

"But, but...." She trails off sadly.

“可是…” 她紧跟着我不高兴地说.

But ... I am already gone, racing down the hall to investigate the ominous sounds. As I fling the door open the three boys give me wide grins. Six-year-old Shen Bo flashes his smile as he catapults through the air. Up, up, off the bed, his trajectory carries him perilously close to the window. He lands in a neat somersault, rolling hard into the wall. The window glass shudders and the pictures dance sideways on their nails.

可是…我已经离去, 冲下楼梯想搞清楚吵闹声的来源. 我把房门打开正见到六岁大的申波在床上跳上跳下. 他见到我一下滑下床边撞到紧挨着窗户的墙上, 震得窗户哗哗响, 墙上的照片都歪倒.

John and Yuanjun must interpret my slack-jaw look of horror as one of excitement because they launch themselves as well--right on top of Shen Bo. Bits of plaster flutter down from the ceiling. They are laughing madly and looking back at me for . . . what? Approval? Wild applause?

约翰和元军一定是被我的出现吓到, 他们一起摔倒在申波的身上. 天花板上的墙灰都震落下来. 我搞不清楚为什么他们望着我大笑? 让我赞成, 鼓掌叫好?

After inhaling, or I should say, gasping, I shriek the time-honored phrase of all parents: "Are you crazy? You could have gone out the window! You could have been killed!"

大吸一口气, 我象大多数父母一样对他们喊道, “你们发疯了? 你们会摔倒窗外摔死的.”

Still clutching my chest, I sink dramatically to the floor. John and Yuanjun gather round me with sheepish expressions but Shen Bo has, once again, missed the point. He leaps back on the bed and calls out. "Let's see if I can jump to the ceiling!"

喊得我胸口隐隐作痛, 我蹲了下来. 约翰和元军围了上来用羞怕的眼神看着我. 只有申波还搞不清状况躺在床上喊, “试试看我可不可以跳到天花板上.”

Kindly, his older brothers wrestle him back to the ground. Yuanjun is sitting on Shen Bo, my wild child, scolding him. "You are scaring the mommy!"

哥哥们把申波按在地上. 元军坐在申波-我最淘气的孩子-的身上说, “你把妈妈吓坏了!”

Indignantly, Shen Bo pushes himself upright. His lower lip juts out and he is pointing at John. "It was all his idea! I told him we should just jump off the desk but he said to jump off the bed!"

申波把元军推开. 噘着嘴巴指着他说道, “都是他的主意. 我只是和他讲从书桌上跳, 他说从床上跳的.”

As I rest my face in my hands, trying to decide whether to laugh or cry, a small hand pokes me in the back. It is MeiMei, her face still serious and worried. "We were having a talk, remember?" She glares at her brothers.

当我双手托着脸正想决定是哭还是笑. 一只小手在我背后捅了我一下. 是美美, 还是一脸的严肃表情. “我们刚才正在谈论问题, 对不对?” 他偷偷盯着她的哥哥们对我说.

Shen Bo has used the interruption to climb back on the bed, and is bouncing tentatively, looking over his shoulder for my reaction.

申波趁机又爬到床上, 跳了一跳, 并观察我的反应.

MeiMei is wearing one of her big sister's nightgowns. The sleeves dangle far past her wrists and her little legs are wrapped in folds of extra cloth. She looks like a sad little waif. Clearly, something important is on her mind.

美美穿着她姐姐的睡袍. 袖子超过她的腰部, 袍低托在地上裹住两双小腿. 看上去像一位流浪儿童. 但是, 可以看出她脑子里有什么重要的事情.

This is where I blow it again. "MeiMei," I implore. "lease get back into bed. I'll be there in a minute to tuck you in."

这里又是一点我处理错事情的地方. “美美,” 我说道, “赶快回去睡觉. 我马上会去帮你盖好被子.”

Her brown eyes widen and she sniffs loudly.

她棕色的眼睛张大, 用鼻子发出不不的声音.

"lease?" I beg her. "You can look at a book till I get there." She shuffles out and I round on the boys, already forgetting MeiMei's sad expression.

”拜托你了?” 我央求着她. “你可以现自己看书, 我马上就到.” 美美慢慢吞吞地离去. 我又回过头来看男生们在干吗, 已经忘记美美一副不高兴的样子.

Twenty minutes go by while I watch the boys remake the beds, clumsily tucking the heavy blankets back under the mattress and clearing the anarchy of their room. For a moment, I allow myself the vision of one of them tumbling through the second-story window. I see them falling onto the concrete below. Too terrible to hold in my mind's eye, I release the image and sit down with them for a long talk.

20多分钟过去了, 一边看着男生们收拾房间, 一边想象要是他们真的从窗户摔除去那就太晚了. 我坐了下来决定和男生们长谈了一下.

When I am done putting the chastised boys to bed, it is late. MeiMei's sister Emma Rose has fallen asleep next to her. I bend to turn the lamp out but MeiMei stirs. Her eyes are wet with tears.

当我把男生们安顿睡好, 美美的姐姐爱玛已经睡熟. 我正要把灯关上美美翻身过来, 双眼充满泪水.

"Oh, sweetie," I whisper. Guilt makes my voice crack. "What's wrong?"

”哦, 甜心,” 我耳语到. 一种自责感让我的声音变调. “什么不对了?”

My presence opens the floodgates. Her tears turn into racking sobs. Her nose runs and she gasps air as though she has been running for miles. Amazingly, Emma Rose, inches away, never moves and her soft snores are in stark contrast to MeiMei's sudden wrenching cries.

我的出现似乎打开了闸门. 她号啕大哭起来. 奇怪的是她的哭声并没有惊动爱玛.

I am an idiot. MeiMei has been holding this in all evening, waiting for me to release her from this agony, whatever it is. For now, she cannot talk. Her tears soak into my shirt as I wait.

我真是个废物. 美美一晚上都要和我讲什么, 现在她哭得不能说话. 眼泪把我的衬衣都湿掉.

Fourteen-year-old Sara wanders in holding the phone out. "It's for you," she announces, oblivious to the scene before her.

14岁的萨瑞奇怪地拿着电话. “是你的,” 她对我说道.

"Not now!" Guilt makes my voice harsh.

”不接!” 我内疚地说道.

Still Sara pushes the telephone toward me. She is chewing gum and humming a rap song under her breath.

但是萨瑞还是把电话一直推过来. 她一边咬着口香糖一边唱着黑人的说唱调.

"Tell them I'll call back later!" Is she blind? I motion toward the sodden bundle in my arms. MeiMei's sobs have subsided into hiccups.

”和他们讲我等一下打回去!”  她看不见呀. 我怀抱着还在抽泣的美美呢.

Sara rolls her
God Made Everything That Has Life. Rest Everything Is Made In China

现金
2222 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-11-7 
最后登录
2007-6-26 
发表于 2001-11-29 07:47

Re:女儿的手触动了母亲的心

这位母亲的爱心闪烁着着理性的光芒!

我有时在想,母亲这个角色对于社会的进步实在是太重要了。
\\\\流光飞舞-海阔天空//

现金
2264 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-10-7 
最后登录
2008-6-27 
发表于 2001-11-30 03:19

Re:女儿的手触动了母亲的心

又是一个让我泪湿心底的帖子。

现金
3650 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2003-4-8 
最后登录
2005-5-16 
发表于 2003-5-26 01:55
up
有所不为,而后可以有为

现金
5039 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2003-4-25 
最后登录
2006-2-8 

荣誉之星 乐园开心

发表于 2003-5-26 02:01
不错~~~
往事已成回忆~~ 此情可待追忆~~

现金
2481 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2002-3-30 
最后登录
2012-7-8 
发表于 2003-5-26 04:27
怎么2001的文章都能找出来, 什么方法?

现金
17983 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2003-1-22 
最后登录
2013-8-2 

开心乐园 荣誉之星

发表于 2004-4-6 02:04
用用``

现金
239 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-4-2 
最后登录
2004-7-10 
发表于 2004-4-6 02:17
好文章

现金
20655 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2003-11-15 
最后登录
2009-8-31 

荣誉之星 龙的传人 有声有色

发表于 2004-4-6 02:28
完了吗?
飞走了
‹ 上一主题|下一主题

肝胆相照论坛

GMT+8, 2024-10-10 13:20 , Processed in 0.016404 second(s), 12 queries , Gzip On.