发表于 2004-8-26 00:29
通过看新闻学英语,通过学英语看新闻
欢迎感兴趣的朋友参与讨论 翻译 交流

[B]Abuse trial begins for Queens Marine [/B]
abuse  n.滥用, 虐待, 辱骂, 陋习, 弊端v.滥用, 虐待, 辱骂[/COLOR]

Gary Pittman[/COLOR]
BY KATHLEEN LUCADAMO and CORKY SIEMASZKO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Hooded and cuffed, a doomed Iraqi prisoner had no way of defending himself when a Marine reservist from  karate-kicked him in the chest, prosecutors said yesterday.

伊拉克囚犯戴着面罩和手铐,根本无法抵抗来自Queens allegedly的预备役海军用空手道在其胸部的殴打,检控官昨天说。

Forty-eight hours later, was found dead, lying naked and filthy under the searing Iraqi sun. filthy adj.不洁的, 污秽的, 丑恶的[/COLOR]

48小时后,Nagem Sadoon Hatab 被发现污秽且赤身裸体的死在伊拉克的烈日下

Now, reserve Sgt. Gary Pittman, who works as a guard at the federal lockup in Brooklyn, has the dubious distinction of being the first U.S. soldier to face court-martial for the death of an Iraqi prisoner.

As Pittman's trial at California's Camp Pendleton got underway, military prosecutors claimed Hatab's windpipe was crushed and ribs smashed from the blow and that another soldier would finger Pittman.

But in Flushing, Pittman's friends and neighbors insisted the 40-year-old was no killer.

"If he killed a man, I can't believe he would mean to do it," said Mary Lee Patterson, his next-door neighbor. "I never heard him use harsh word towards his wife or daughter. You never heard him cursing or carrying on."

Building super Gary Anthony described Pittman as "the kid who gave up his milk money so you wouldn't bother him."

"I've never seen him angry," he said. "If he really did that, you really had to push him to the limit."

Pittman, who began working in the federal prison system in February 1996, knew what happened to guards who weren't careful around dangerous prisoners.

"That was my co-worker," Pittman told Anthony, after Metropolitan Correctional Center guard Louis Pepe was stabbed in the eye by an Al Qaeda terrorist.

Bronx Firefighter Walter Powers, who was Pittman's company commander in Iraq, said the accused soldier was "always professional" and it was "not in his character to do what he's accused of doing."

Pittman's wife, Cheryl, filed for divorce in September after her husband came home. They have a young daughter.

A member of the 2nd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, based in Garden City, L.I., Pittman crossed paths with Hatab in June 2003 when he was brought to Camp Whitehorse, a detention center near the city of Nassiriya.

Hatab may have already been a marked man. He was said to have taken part in the ambush of the U.S. Army convoy that killed 11 soldiers and led to the capture of Pfc. Jessica Lynch and five others. "They said he had one of the M-16s from the convoy," Powers said.

Pittman's defenders are expected to argue that Hatab died of a "preexisting condition" and that a single kick could not have caused that much damage.

With Laura Williams, Bob Kappstatter and Joni Carrasco

试着翻译一下

[em04]
If I know what love is, it is becuse of you.

现金
4403 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-5-7 
最后登录
2009-11-30 
发表于 2004-8-26 00:36
试试哈

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-8-25 11:47:52编辑过]

If I know what love is, it is becuse of you.
‹ 上一主题|下一主题

肝胆相照论坛

GMT+8, 2024-10-1 05:35 , Processed in 0.016350 second(s), 11 queries , Gzip On.