注册时间
2009-10-5 
最后登录
2022-12-28 

才高八斗

发表于 2013-10-29 19:43 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
Son gives dad a liver and a new life

Posted on October 28, 2013, Monday

OPERATION WORKED: After the liver donation, Mr David Poh is now able to play a light game of squash and badminton.

ONE YOUNG pilot opted for the best course of treatment for his cancer-stricken dad by donating part of his liver to him.
The one thought that raced through his mind as he was wheeled into the operating theatre at the Singapore General Hospital (SGH) in September last year was: I might not survive.
Mr Edwin Poh, then 32, was young, healthy and had no medical problems. But he was going to have a part of his liver cut out and transplanted into his father, Mr David Poh, who was suffering from liver cancer.
Doctors had told him that the procedure was a relatively low risk one, and that his liver would regenerate to 90 per cent of its original size after the operation. Yet, he could not stop thoughts of the worst-case scenario from flooding his mind.
Said the younger Mr Poh: “I thought I might die. I had written letters to my family. I was prepared for the worst.”

From hepatitis B to liver cancer
Mr David Poh was diagnosed with hepatitis B during a routine blood test about 30 years ago.
Hepatitis B is an infectious inflammatory illness of the liver, which can lead to cirrhosis, a hardening of the liver, and liver cancer.  When his father was diagnosed with hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer) in December 2011, the younger Mr Poh knew that he wanted to do the right thing and give part of his liver to his father. “If anyone was to help him, it should be me.”
His older sister was married with two children, while his other sister was too young. “The size of the donor’s liver had to be big enough,” Mr Poh said.
A pilot for seven years, Mr Poh had to consider if he would be able to resume flying – his life-long dream – after the procedure. “I was very gung ho about the transplant initially, and it took some time to get my father to agree to it. Later, as I was going through the tests, I started to think about the risks and costs. It was then that I began to worry if I could still fly after that,” he said.
“But at the end of the day, the question was not just – ‘could I not go through with it?’ – but also, ‘could I continue to live with myself if I did not?’”
His company was supportive, assuring him that he would have a job if he was medically fit to fly after the operation.
His decision to donate a part of his liver was also bolstered by the knowledge that a fellow pilot, who went through the same procedure eight years earlier, was still flying.
Mr Poh stopped work for about two months to recover from the surgery, and received the green light from an aeromedical doctor to resume his flying duties in December last year.
The elder Mr Poh, who is semi-retired, said he found the strength to accept his illness – stage 2 liver cancer – in prayer. However, he wasn’t prepared to accept his son’s sacrifice at first.
“My family was not prepared to let me go. They begged me to go for a transplant,” said the 65-year-old. His wife, 62, works in the healthcare industry.
The older Mr Poh said the tumour in his liver was about 4.6cm long, but was inoperable as it was located too close to the main arteries.
Before the transplant, he had undergone other treatments, including a minimally invasive medical procedure called transarterial chemo-embolisation, or TACE, which managed to shrink his tumour down to 60 per cent of its original size. He also went through two rounds of chemotherapy, but with little progress.
Mr Poh was then told that he needed to have a transplant, but the wait for a deceased donor would take about a year.
After much pleading from his family, he decided to accept his son’s gift of life.
“I know that he (my son) is a good boy. I didn’t want to put him in any jeopardy, especially his career. I was worried he might not be able to fly again. I prepared myself and prayed and left it to God. I had confidence in the doctors and that the operation would work,” he said.
The older Mr Poh said he is now able to play a light game of squash and badminton. He added: “I have a new lease of life now, and I have better stamina.”

New transplant clinic offers convenience
Following a transplant, patients have to see several healthcare professionals for follow-up care. When the new Transplant Centre opens later this year at SGH, these patients only need to make a single appointment to see them.
“Transplantation is a highly complex field of medicine that requires different healthcare professionals coming together as a team to provide a collaborative and patient-centric approach to care planning and provision,” said Dr Terence Kee, senior consultant, Department of Renal Medicine, SGH. Dr Kee is also programme director, Renal Transplantation, SGH.
The centre will house a multi-disciplinary team involved in various aspects of transplantation. Dedicated to caring for patients who have undergone or are undergoing transplants, the Centre has clinics, counselling rooms, a phlebotomy cubicle and procedure unit. Among its many services are pre- and post-transplant education by transplant coordinators, donor and recipient assessment, post-transplant follow-up care, transplant pharmacist clinics, and intravenous drug infusions.
• This story was first published in Singapore Health, Sep/Oct 2013.

Read more: http://www.theborneopost.com/2013/10/28/son-gives-dad-a-liver-and-a-new-life/#ixzz2j6kejRB9

现金
62111 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2009-10-5 
最后登录
2022-12-28 

才高八斗

发表于 2013-10-29 19:44 |只看该作者
儿子给爸爸一个肝脏和一个新的生命

发布于2013年10月28日(星期一)

操作工作:大卫先生捐肝后,博爱医院是现在能够发挥光壁球和羽毛球比赛。

一位年轻的飞行员选择最好的治疗过程中,他的癌症灾区的爸爸,他的肝脏的一部分捐赠给他。

比赛通过他的头脑,他被推进了手术室,在9月在新加坡中央医院( SGH )去年一个念头是:我可能无法生存。

祉锋先生博爱医院,然后32,年轻,健康的,并没有医疗问题。但他要的一部分,他的肝脏切出来,移植到他的父亲,大卫先生博爱医院,谁患了肝癌。

医生曾告诉他,该程序是一个风险相对较低的一个,他的肝脏再生手术后其原始大小的90 % 。然而,他无法阻止最坏的情况下的想法充斥他的脑海。

年轻的傅先生说: “我想我可能会死。 ”我曾写信给我的家人。我做好最坏的打算。 “

从乙肝到肝癌

大卫先生博爱医院被诊断出患有B型肝炎,大约30年前,在一次例行验血。

乙型肝炎是感染性炎症疾病,肝脏,它可以导致肝硬化,肝脏硬化,肝癌。当他的父亲被确诊为肝癌(肝癌)于2011年12月,年轻的傅先生知道他想要做正确的事,他的父亲给他的肝脏的一部分。 “如果有人帮他,这应该是我。 ”

他的姐姐已婚,有两个孩子,而他的姐姐是太年轻了。 “捐赠者的肝脏的大小必须足够大, ”傅先生说。

为7年的试点,傅先生不得不考虑,如果他将能够恢复飞行 - 他一生的梦想 - 后的程序。 “我是很奋发拼搏最初的移植,花了一些时间,我的父亲同意。后来,我正想通过测试,我开始思考有关的风险和成本。就在那时,我开始担心,如果我仍然可以飞后, “他说。 ”

但在一天结束的时候,这个问题是不只是 - “我能不经历与它吗​​? ' - 而且, ”我能继续住自己,如果我不? “

他的公司是支持的,向他保证,他将有一份工作,如果他手术后身体状况适合飞行。

他决定捐赠的一部分,他的肝脏也被带动知识的资深飞行员,他经历了八年前,同样的程序,仍然飞。

傅先生停止工作约两个月从手术中恢复过来,并从伤病员的医生开了绿灯,在去年12月恢复他的飞行职务。

老傅先生,谁是半退休状态,他说他找到了力量,接受他的病情 - 第2阶段肝癌 - 在祈祷。然而,他不准备接受他的儿子牺牲在第一。

“我的家人不准备让我去。他们央求我说:“去移植, 65岁。他的妻子,62岁,在医疗行业工作。

傅先生说,在他的肝脏肿瘤是约长4.6厘米,但不能作为它位于太接近的主要动脉。

移植前,他曾接受其他治疗,包括微创医疗程序称为 - 经化疗栓塞,或肝动脉栓塞化疗,他的肿瘤缩小到其原始大小的60 % 。他也经历了两个回合的化疗,但进展甚微。

傅先生告诉记者,他需要有一个移植,但等待死者捐赠约需一年。

经过一番恳求他的家人,他决定接受他的儿子的生命的礼物。

“我知道他(我的儿子)是一个很好的男孩。我不想把他在任何危险,尤其是他的职业生涯。我很担心他可能无法再飞。我准备自己祷告,把它留给上帝。我有信心在医生和操作工作, “他说。 ”

傅先生说,他现在是能发挥光壁球和羽毛球的比赛。他补充说:“现在我有一个新的租赁生活,我有更好的体力。 ”

现金
1904 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2011-11-30 
最后登录
2024-5-14 
发表于 2013-10-30 21:22 |只看该作者
感动,他很有勇气
‹ 上一主题|下一主题
你需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

肝胆相照论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 13:13 , Processed in 0.014179 second(s), 11 queries , Gzip On.