肝胆相照论坛

肝胆相照论坛 论坛 English&English Could Joe Frazier(boxing champion) have been saved?
查看: 2519|回复: 7
go

Could Joe Frazier(boxing champion) have been saved? [复制链接]

现金
62111 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2009-10-5 
最后登录
2022-12-28 

才高八斗

发表于 2011-11-12 08:40 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
Blackwell on Health: Could Joe Frazier have been saved?                                                                                                                                               

TOM MIHALEK/AFP/Getty Images

Joe Frazier in 2001

Tom Blackwell                                 Nov 11, 2011 – 2:54 PM ET                                                                 | Last Updated: Nov 11, 2011 3:05 PM ET                                                       

Joe Frazier might still be alive today if the boxing great had been screened regularly for liver cancer, something that might have made sense given his occupation, suggests a Canadian doctor.
Frazier was diagnosed with liver cancer in September and died Monday, at age 67. Given advances in treatment, though, his chances of survival would have been far greater had he been diagnosed earlier, says Dr.Morris Sherman, chair of the Canadian Liver Foundation.
Hepatitis B is the main risk factor for liver cancer and people who have had the virus are recommended for twice-yearly ultrasounds that can detect the malignancy at an early stage. Why is that relevant to Frazier, and other boxers?

Hepatitis is a blood-borne disease and, well, pugilists run a high risk of exchanging the fluid as they pummel and clutch each other in the ring. In fact, Mr. Frazier and George Chuvalo appeared at a Liver Foundation event in 2006 – the 40th anniversary of their Madison Square Gardens bout – to help raise awareness about hepatitis. Still, it is not know if Mr. Frazier ever contracted the virus.
Said Dr. Sherman in a statement issued by the foundation:
Athletes in contact sports are at risk of contracting hepatitis B or C because they may be exposed to infected blood. When Joe Frazier was in the ring, no one was testing boxers, let alone any other athlete, for these types of viruses. Today, fights can be canceled if one of the boxers tests positive for hepatitis B or C.

现金
4263 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2010-7-26 
最后登录
2022-12-21 

驴版 一米阳光 幸福风车 恭喜发财

发表于 2011-11-12 09:48 |只看该作者
I heard from the news that he knocked down Ali before, a great boxer.
Regular health check is important. My family physician told me do the complete exam once a year.
I only did once in the past ten years.

现金
62111 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2009-10-5 
最后登录
2022-12-28 

才高八斗

发表于 2011-11-12 10:24 |只看该作者
回复 hbv30year 的帖子

The 6-monthly checkup is for older age persons with a family history of cancer. With you nine+ lives, you can skip one or two.

现金
4263 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2010-7-26 
最后登录
2022-12-21 

驴版 一米阳光 幸福风车 恭喜发财

发表于 2011-11-12 11:02 |只看该作者
hehe~, I did AFP test several times a year.
My health situation is not good, life is too hard, always do the low paid job or dangerous job. I am glad that I can survive till today.

现金
62111 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2009-10-5 
最后登录
2022-12-28 

才高八斗

发表于 2011-11-12 11:27 |只看该作者
本帖最后由 StephenW 于 2011-11-12 11:28 编辑

回复 hbv30year 的帖子

But then, a desk job may kill you:

Death By Desk: Is Your Job Killing You?NEW YORK (Ivanhoe Newswire) --Work may be hazardous to your health! New research shows sitting at your desk all day could be killing you. And if you think you’re covered because you hit the gym, think again. Sitting for hours at a time can reverse those benefits!  
“Good morning please come to the lobby for stretch and flex!”
This is how the day begins at Skanska, an international project development and construction company. Instead of coffee and donuts
It’s bending and stretching, senior director for business development Deborah Ippolito is leading the morning routine.   
“We all have a tendency to sit at our desks all day long. We stretch, we get energize in our bodies,” Deborah Ippolito, Senior director of business development told Ivanhoe.
And for good reason. New research shows people who sit at their desk all day are at an increased risk for obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, even an early death. One study from the American Cancer Society showed people who sat more than six hours a day were at least 18 percent more likely to die than those who sat less than three hours a day.
That’s why Dr. Michael Roizen is taking steps to combat the problem with a treadmill desk at work. If that’s not an option, here are some tips to keep your desk from killing you: first get moving. Don’t send emails when you can deliver the message, stand up when you take a phone call and when you take a break, get outside and take a walk. Other things to watch out for? Your eyes.  Karin Mora can’t help but stare intensely at her work computer.
“You focus so much on what you’re reading that you don’t think to blink,” Karin Mora told Ivanhoe.
To beat the strain that can lead to headaches and blurred vision take ‘blink’ breaks to give your eyes a rest...lowering your risk of death by desk.
A new study of how Americans work shows that as we have made the move to desk jobs we have become less active, leading to obesity and other health issues. The study found that 80 percent of jobs are classified as sedentary, compared to 50 percent in 1960. Experts say taking mini breaks every 30 minutes is the best way to keep your blood flowing and reduce your risk of disease.

For additional research on this article, click here.

Sign up for a free weekly e-mail on Medical Breakthroughs called First to Know by clicking here.

If this story or any other Ivanhoe story has impacted your life or prompted you or someone you know to seek or change treatments, please let us know by contacting Marsha Hitchcock at [/url][url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected].

现金
4263 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2010-7-26 
最后登录
2022-12-21 

驴版 一米阳光 幸福风车 恭喜发财

发表于 2011-11-12 12:28 |只看该作者
Nothing is 100% safe, that is what I can tell you. Do you like sit beside the computer or fighting against criminal all day?

现金
62111 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2009-10-5 
最后登录
2022-12-28 

才高八斗

发表于 2011-11-12 12:54 |只看该作者
Actually, I don't mind fighting crime - solving the mysterious murder, rescuing the beautiful girl from the baddies, etc.
Now, don't tell me you are into crime fighting?

现金
4263 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2010-7-26 
最后登录
2022-12-21 

驴版 一米阳光 幸福风车 恭喜发财

发表于 2011-11-12 13:14 |只看该作者

Of course not,my friend. Just an example
‹ 上一主题|下一主题

肝胆相照论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-14 20:34 , Processed in 0.015283 second(s), 11 queries , Gzip On.