肝胆相照论坛

肝胆相照论坛 论坛 English&English Which Pets Can Make People Sick?
查看: 1019|回复: 0
go

Which Pets Can Make People Sick? [复制链接]

现金
222032 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-11-10 
最后登录
2023-5-7 

元帅勋章 功勋会员 小花 管理员或超版 荣誉之星 勤于助新 龙的传人 大财主勋章 白衣天使 旺旺勋章 心爱宝宝 携手同心 驴版 有声有色 东北版 美食大使 幸福四叶草 翡翠丝带 健康之翼 幸福风车 恭喜发财 人中之龙

发表于 2011-8-31 07:53 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
本帖最后由 liver411 于 2011-8-31 07:54 编辑

From CDC Expert CommentaryPets Can Make People Sick

Casey Barton Behravesh, MS, DVM, DrPH

Hi. I am Dr. Casey Barton Behravesh, an epidemiologist in the Outbreak Response and Prevention Branch at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). I am also a veterinarian with a pet dog and cat and the mother of 2 young children. Today, I am pleased to speak with you as part of the CDC Expert Video Commentary Series on Medscape. I will be talking with you about how certain pets can make people sick and the steps you can take to help protect your patients and their families.

Pet ownership has many positive benefits. They comfort us and give us companionship. But as much as I love animals, I know that some -- especially those that are frequently linked to outbreaks of human illness -- are not the best animals to choose as pets. This is especially true for certain high-risk groups of people, including children younger than 5 years or immunocompromised patients.

Salmonella is most commonly transmitted through contaminated food. However, Salmonella is also one of many zoonotic pathogens that can be spread between people and their pets. Many Salmonella infections occur in people who have contact with certain types of animals -- what I refer to as "risky" pets. These include reptiles, such as turtles, snakes, or lizards; amphibians, especially frogs; poultry, including chicks, chickens, and ducklings; and rodents, such as hamsters. Infected animals can appear happy, healthy, and clean and still be shedding Salmonella or other zoonotic pathogens that can lead to human illness. In fact, small turtles are so risky that their sale as pets has been banned since 1975.

It is important to know that directly handling these pets isn't the only way people can get sick; the environments where the animals live and roam, such as water from a frog or turtle tank, can be just as contaminated as the animal itself. In several recent outbreaks of human Salmonella infections linked to water frogs, turtles, and chicks, most of the infected patients or the parents of infected children said they didn't even know that these animals could cause Salmonella infections.

So what can you do? As a healthcare provider, you can help prevent the spread of Salmonella or other zoonotic infections by asking high-risk patients and parents about contact with animals, both in the home and away from home, in public places such as fairs, schools, and petting zoos. You should educate your patients about the risks of Salmonella and other zoonotic infections from animals. You can share prevention recommendations, such as advising patients that some pets are not appropriate for children younger than 5 years old or other high-risk patients. Also, you can remind all patients that they can take simple precautions to reduce their risk for a zoonotic infection including using good handwashing practices. This includes washing hands thoroughly after handling animals or anything in the animal's environment.

Know the symptoms of Salmonella infection and test patients when appropriate. Salmonella infections most commonly cause acute gastroenteritis with fever, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, vomiting, and often bloody stools. The incubation period is 12-72 hours and the illness duration is typically from 4-7 days. Most Salmonella infections do not require treatment other than oral rehydration, although patients with severe diarrhea may require rehydration with intravenous fluids. Antimicrobial therapy is not usually indicated unless you suspect that the patient has invasive disease. Serious illnesses that can result from a Salmonella infection include sepsis, joint infections, and meningitis, and infections can result in death, especially in patients with underlying health conditions (HIV infection, other immunocompromising conditions, and sickle cell anemia).

For more information, please see the resources on this page. As a healthcare provider, you can help ensure that your patients are able to enjoy their pets without getting sick!

Thank you.
God Made Everything That Has Life. Rest Everything Is Made In China
‹ 上一主题|下一主题

肝胆相照论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 07:53 , Processed in 0.016795 second(s), 11 queries , Gzip On.