肝胆相照论坛

肝胆相照论坛 论坛 English&English 21 Oct 2011 - End of the World - mark that on your c ...
查看: 725|回复: 0
go

21 Oct 2011 - End of the World - mark that on your calendar [复制链接]

现金
62111 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2009-10-5 
最后登录
2022-12-28 

才高八斗

发表于 2011-5-24 14:23 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览 |打印
                    Rapture actually coming in October, says Camping                                                            May 24, 2011 - 12:12PM   

Wrong again ... Harold Camping. Photo: Reuters

California preacher  Harold Camping said yesterday his prophecy that the world would end was off  by five months because Judgment Day will actually come on October 21.

Mr Camping,  who predicted that 200 million Christians would be taken to heaven  on Saturday before the earth was destroyed, said he felt so terrible when  his doomsday prediction did not come true that he left home and took  refuge in a motel with his wife.

Advertisement: Story continues below                           

His independent ministry, Family Radio  International, spent millions - some of it from donations made by  followers - on more than 5000 billboards and 20 RVs plastered with the  Judgment Day message.

But Mr Camping said that  he had now realised the apocalypse would come five months after May 21, the  original date he predicted. He had earlier said October 21 was when the  globe would be consumed by a fireball.

It's  not the first time the independent Christian radio host has been forced  to explain when his prediction did not come to pass. He also predicted  the apocalypse would come in 1994, but said it did not happen then  because of a mathematical error.

Rather than  give his normal daily broadcast on Monday, Mr Camping made a special  statement before the press at the Oakland headquarters of the media  empire that has broadcast his message.

His show, Open Forum, has for  months headlined his doomsday message via the group's radio stations, TV  channels, satellite broadcasts and website.

When the Rapture did not arrive on Saturday, crestfallen followers began turning their attention to more earthly concerns.

Jeff  Hopkins had figured the petrol money he spent driving back and forth from  Long Island to New York City would be worth it, as long as people could  see the ominous sign atop his car warning that the end of the world was  nigh.

"I've been mocked and scoffed and cursed  at and I've been through a lot with this lighted sign on top of my  car," said Mr Hopkins, 52, a former television producer who lives in Great  River, New York.

"I was doing what I've been instructed to do through the  Bible, but now I've been stymied. It's like getting slapped in the  face."

Apocalyptic thinking has always been  part of American religious life and popular culture. Teachings about the  end of the world vary dramatically - even within faith traditions -  about how they will occur.

Still, the overwhelming majority of Christians reject the idea that the exact date or time of Jesus Christ's return can be predicted.

Tim  LaHaye, co-author of the best-selling Left Behind novels about the  end times, recently called Mr Camping's prediction "not only bizarre but  100 per cent wrong!"

He cited the biblical verse Matthew 24:36, "but about  that day or hour no one knows" except God.

"While  it may be in the near future, many signs of our times certainly  indicate so, but anyone who thinks they know the day and the hour is  flat out wrong," he wrote on his website, leftbehind.com.

In  2009, the nonprofit Family Radio reported in IRS filings that it  received $US18.3 million in donations, and had assets of more than $US104  million, including $US34 million in stocks or other publicly traded  securities.

AP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/rapture-actually-coming-in-october-says-camping-20110524-1f1ln.html#ixzz1NFPwcq2O
‹ 上一主题|下一主题

肝胆相照论坛

GMT+8, 2024-6-27 17:35 , Processed in 0.013135 second(s), 11 queries , Gzip On.