肝胆相照论坛

肝胆相照论坛 论坛 English&English 存档 1 外语角分类总目录 (Last Updated Oct 12)
楼主: 高山冰雪

外语角分类总目录 (Last Updated Oct 12) [复制链接]

现金
2178 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-7-6 
最后登录
2008-2-23 
发表于 2005-10-24 14:24
培根美文集
Introduction of Lord Francis Bacon

Lord Francis Bacon,(1561-1626) the father of experimental philosophy, whose father had been Lord Keeper, and himself was a great many years Lord Chancellor under King James I. Nevertheless, amidst the intrigues of a Court, and the affairs of his exalted employment (Because of bribery and extortion he was sentenced by the House of Lords to pay a fine of about four hundred thousand French livres, to lose his peerage and his dignity of Chancellor.), which alone were enough to engross his whole time, he yet found so much leisure for study as to make himself a great philosopher, a good historian, and an elegant writer; and a still more surprising circumstance is that he lived in an age in which the art of writing justly and elegantly was little known, much less true philosophy. Lord Bacon, as is the fate of man, was more esteemed after his death than inlifetime. His enemies were in the British Court, and his admirers were foreigners.

培根被认为是现代科学时代的始祖。他是第一个意识到科学技木能够改造世界面貌的哲学家,热情支持实验科学研究。 
l561年,培棍生于伦敦。他是英国伊丽莎白女王时代一 高级职员的长子。12岁入剑桥大学三一学院,但不久离开 那里,没有获得大学毕业证书。16岁开始工作,随英国驻注大使去巴黎在使馆工作过一段时间。18岁时父亲去世,没留下什么钱,培根被迫去上学学习法律。21岁开始从事律师业。23岁时被选为英国下议院议员。伊丽莎白女王向议会 提出增加税收计划,培根表示反对通过这个提案,女王因而讨厌培根,培根成了伊西克斯的朋友和参谋。伊西克斯是个贪婪的贵族分子,同情培根,他决定发动反对伊丽莎白女王的政变。培根劝告他应该忠于女王,但伊西克斯不听,政变以失败而告终。因为培根在伊西克斯受审及被判死刑一案中起了某种作用,致使各阶层人民对培根有些不满情绪。    
1603年,伊丽莎白女王去世,培根当上继任国王詹姆斯一世的顾问,虽然詹姆斯—世没有受培根劝言的约束,但却很喜欢他。因此在詹姆斯一世执政期间,培根平步青云,节节高升,1617年担任掌玺大臣,1618年就任大法官,1620 年受封为子爵。    
不期灾难降临了。培根被指控受贿,其实受贿在当时已是司空见惯,绝非新鲜,但培根在议会里的劲敌抓住这个机会,将他赶出了官场。培根对受贿供认不讳,被判在伦敦塔坐牢,交付大批罚金,终生禁止做官。但国王释放了他,免除了他的罚金,培根只不过丧失了政治生命。培根这样评论议会决定:“我是英国50年来最公正的法官,而议会对我的判决是200年来议会所作出的最公正的判决。”   
培根的若干著作为他赢得了声誉。他的第一部著作《论说文集》发表于1597年。这部著作用辛辣评论风格写成,但却闪闪发光,引入入胜,在世界流传极广。即本精品文摘。
培根的最伟大的哲学著作之一名叫《伟大的复兴》。该著作包括6个部分,已完成的部分有:序言、《新工具》(对一种 新的逻辑方法的描述)、《自然史和实验史概论》组体现了作者某些观点及不同风格的科学和哲学沉思录.  
培根从1605年起开始写作,但没有完成的《科学推进论》 被认为是自亚里士多德时代以来最伟大的著作。

责任编辑:   来源:
版权所有:中国青少年计算机信息服务网
路遥归梦,往事如烟.... gandanxiangzhao.blogchina.com

现金
2178 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-7-6 
最后登录
2008-2-23 
发表于 2005-10-24 14:26
培根美文集
of revenge

REVENGE is a kind of wild justice; which the more man' s nature runs to, the more ought law to weed it out. For as for the first wrong, it doth but offend the law; but the revenge of that wrong, putteth the law out of office. Certainly, in taking revenge, a man is but even with his enemy; but in passing it over, he is superior; for it is a prince's part to pardon.

And Solomon, I am sure, saith, It is the glory of a man, to pass by an offence. That which is past is gone, and irrevocable; and wise men have enough to do, with things present and to come; therefore they do but trifle with themselves, that labor in past matters. There is no man doth a wrong, for the wrong's sake; but thereby to purchase himself profit, or pleasure, or honor, or the like. Therefore why should I be angry with a man, for loving himself better than me? And if any man should do wrong, merely out of ill-nature, why, yet it is but like the thorn or briar, which prick and scratch, because they can do no other. The most tolerable sort of revenge, is for those wrongs which there is no law to remedy; but then let a man take heed, the revenge be such as there is no law to punish; else a man's enemy is still before hand, and it is two for one. Some, when they take revenge, are desirous, the party should know, whence it cometh. This is the more generous. For the delight seemeth to be, not so much in doing the hurt, as in making the party repent. But base and crafty cowards, are like the arrow that flieth in the dark. Cosmus, duke of Florence, had a desperate saying against perfidious or neglecting friends, as if those wrongs were unpardonable; You shall read (saith he) that we are commanded to forgive our enemies; but you never read, that we are commanded to forgive our friends. But yet the spirit of Job was in a better tune: Shall we (saith he) take good at God's hands, and not be content to take evil also? And so of friends in a proportion. This is certain, that a man that studieth revenge, keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal, and do well. Public revenges are for the most part fortunate; as that for the death of Caesar; for the death of Pertinax; for the death of Henry the Third of France; and many more. But in private revenges, it is not so. Nay rather, vindictive persons live the life of witches; who, as they are mischievous, so end they infortunate.

复仇乃一种原始的公道,人之天性越是爱讨这种公道,法律就越是应该将其铲除;因为首先犯罪者只是触犯了法律,而对该罪犯以牙还牙则使法律失去了效用。无可否认,若一个人对其仇敌施加报复,那他与被报复者不过是半斤八两;而若是他不念旧恶,宽大为怀,那他就比对手高出一等,因高抬贵手乃贵人之举。

笔者确信,所罗门曾言:“宽恕他人之过失乃宽恕者之荣耀。”过去的已经过去,且一去不返,而聪明人总是努力着眼于现在和将来的事情,所以对过去耿耿于怀着无非是在捉弄自己罢了。世间并无为作恶而作恶之人,作恶者之所以作恶皆为要获得名利享乐或诸如此类的东西。既然如此,我为何要因人爱己胜过爱我而对其发怒呢?而且即便有人纯然是出于恶性而作恶,那也不过像荆棘藜枯一般,刺扎戳钩皆因其没别的本事。最可原谅的一类报复是针对那些没有法律惩治的罪行而施行的报复,但此时报复者须当心,得让自己的报复行为也因没法惩治而逍遥法外,不然报复者的仇敌依然占便宜,因为受伤害的比例是二比一。有人复仇时想要仇敌知晓这复仇来自何方。这样复仇更为雍容大度,因为更痛快的报仇似乎不在于使仇敌皮肉受到伤害,而是要让其悔不当初;不过卑怯而狡猾的懦夫则往往想要暗中施放的冷箭。佛罗伦萨大公科西莫①曾用极其强烈的言辞谴责朋友的背信弃义或忘恩负义,他似乎认为这类恶行不可饶恕。他说,你可以在《圣经》里读到基督要我们宽恕仇敌的教诲,但你绝不会读到要我们宽恕朋友的训喻。但迄今为止还是约伯的精神高一格调,他说:“我们怎能只喜欢上帝赐福而抱怨上帝降祸呢?”将此例推及朋友,亦有此问。毋庸置疑,念念不忘复仇者只会使自己的创伤新鲜如初,而那创伤本来是可以愈合的。报公仇多半会为复仇者带来幸运,如为消撒大帝之死而复仇,为佩尔蒂纳之死而复仇,以及为法王亨利三世之死而复仇等等。但报私仇却不会有这般幸运;与此相反,欲报私仇者过的是巫师一般的生活,他们活着时于人有害,死去则可叹可悲。

曹明伦译

http://vweb.cycnet.com/cms/2004/englishcorner/digest/meiwen/

责任编辑:   来源:

现金
2178 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-7-6 
最后登录
2008-2-23 
发表于 2005-10-24 14:27
散文,小品文
Angel 天使
  Once upon a time there was a child ready to be born.
   One day the child asked God: "They tell me you are going to send me to earth tomorrow but
  how am I going to live there being so small and helpless?"
   God replied: "Among the many angels, I have chosen one for you. She will be waiting for
  you and will take care of you."
   "But, " said the child: "tell me here in Heaven I don‘t anything else but sing and smile.
  That‘s what I need to be happy!"
   God said: "Your angel will sing for you and will also smile for you every day. And you will
  feel your angel‘s love and be happy."
   "And," said the child: "how am I going to be able to understand when people talk to me, If
  I don‘t know the language that men talk?"
   "That‘s easy", said God: "Your angel will tell you the most beautiful and sweet words
  you will ever hear, and with much patience and care, your angel will teach you how to speak."
   The child looked up at God saying: "And what am I going to do when I want to talk to you?"
   God smiled at the child saying: "Your angel will Place your hands together and will
  teach you how to pray."
   The child said: "I‘ve heard on earth there are bad men. Who will Protect me?"
   God put his arm around the child, saying: "Your angel will defend you - even if it means
  risking life!"
   The child looked sad, saying: "But I will always be sad because I will not see you anymore."
   God hugged the child: "Your angel will always talk to you about me and will teach you
  the way to come back to me, even though I will always be next to you."
   At that moment there was much peace in Heaven, but voices from earth could already be
  heard.
   The child, in a hurry, asked softly: "Oh God, if I am about to leave now Please tell my
   Angel’s name!"
   God replied: "Your angel‘s name is of no importance...you will simply call her MOMMY!"
  有一个婴儿即将出生。
    一天,这个小孩问上帝,“他们告诉我明天你将要把我送到地球,不过为什么我在那儿会那么小和无助呢?”
    上帝说,“在所有的天使之中,我已经选中了一个给你。她将会等待你和照顾你。”

“不过”,小孩问了,“请告诉我--在天堂我除了歌唱和微笑之外什么都不做。这些是我快乐所需要的!”
    上帝说,“你的天使每天将会为你歌唱和微笑。你将会感受到你的天使的爱,你会感到快乐。”

“还有”,小孩又问了,“如果我不懂他们说的语言,当人们对我说话的时候我怎样才会理解呢?”

“这很简单,”上帝说,“你的天使将教会你语言中最美丽和最甜蜜的词语,带着最大的耐心和关怀,你的天使将教会你怎样说话。

小孩抬头看着上帝说,“我想和你说话的时候我该怎么做呢?”

上帝微笑着对小孩说,“你的天使会把你的双手放在一起然后教会你怎样祈祷。”

小孩说,“我听说地球上有坏人,谁将会保护我呢?”

上帝把手放在小孩身上,说,“你的天使将会保护你,甚至会冒生命的危险!”

小孩看起来有些悲伤,他说,“我将会一直感到悲伤因为我再也看不到你了。”

上帝拥抱着小孩。“你的天使以后会一直跟你说有关我的事情,还会教你回到我身边的方法,虽说我一直与你同在。”

在这一刻小孩在天堂感到了无比的安详,不过已经可以听到从地球传来的声音。。。。

小孩有点急促,温柔的问“上帝啊,如果我现在将要离开,请告诉我我的天使的名字!”

上帝回答说,你的天使的名字并不那么重要,你可以简单的叫她—— “妈妈”。

——献给天下所有母亲
责任编辑: lance  来源: 论坛

现金
4176 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-7-2 
最后登录
2012-6-16 
发表于 2005-10-27 04:48

这个瞒好的!!

外语角取名活动结果(终于)出来了--------恭喜pontneuf,素馨胜出!
下面引用由boydreaming2003/01/07 09:14am 发表的内容:
Too longer.
FOREIGN BRAIN ~~~~~~
意思是:
1、外语头脑

Why don’t you just call it “CRACKING BRAIN” or “MIND CRACKER” then, as BRAIN itself doesn’t carry the meaning of “cracking 打破”.
Despite of some offensive meanings (go find out for yourself if you are interested), “CRACKER” means:
1. A thin crisp wafer or biscuit, usually made of unsweetened dough.
2. One that cracks, especially:
a. A firecracker.
b. A small cardboard cylinder covered with decorative paper that holds candy or a party favor and pops when a paper strip is pulled at one or both ends and torn.
c. The apparatus used in the cracking of petroleum.

In other words: Yummies! Explosive! Sparks!
How’’s that? :em02:

我家宝宝早产,29周,2.8斤,现在20斤了,阻断成功

现金
4176 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-7-2 
最后登录
2012-6-16 
发表于 2005-10-27 23:19
世界上美丽的英文(3)

Think it over……好好想想……

Today we have higher buildings and wider highways,but shorter temperaments and narrower points of view; 今天我们拥有了更高层的楼宇以及更宽阔的公路,但是我们的性情却更为急躁,眼光也更加狭隘;

We spend more,but enjoy less; 我们消耗的更多,享受到的却更少;

We have bigger houses,but smaller famillies; 我们的住房更大了,但我们的家庭却更小了;

We have more compromises,but less time; 我们妥协更多,时间更少;

We have more knowledge,but less judgment; 我们拥有了更多的知识,可判断力却更差了;

We have more medicines,but less health; 我们有了更多的药品,但健康状况却更不如意;

We have multiplied out possessions,but reduced out values; 我们拥有的财富倍增,但其价值却减少了;

We talk much,we love only a little,and we hate too much; 我们说的多了,爱的却少了,我们的仇恨也更多了;

We reached the Moon and came back,but we find it troublesome to cross our own street and meet our neighbors; 我们可以往返月球,但却难以迈出一步去亲近我们的左邻右舍;

We have conquered the uter space,but not our inner space; 我们可以征服外太空,却征服不了我们的内心;

We have highter income,but less morals; 我们的收入增加了,但我们的道德却少了;

These are times with more liberty,but less joy; 我们的时代更加自由了,但我们拥有的快乐时光却越来越少;

We have much more food,but less nutrition; 我们有了更多的食物,但所能得到的营养却越来越少了;

These are the days in which it takes two salaries for each home,but divorces increase; 现在每个家庭都可以有双份收入,但离婚的现象越来越多了;

These are times of finer houses,but more broken homes; 现在的住房越来越精致,但我们也有了更多破碎的家庭;

That's why I propose,that as of today; 这就是我为什么要说,让我们从今天开始;

You do not keep anything for a special occasion.because every day that you live is a SPECIAL OCCASION. 不要将你的东西为了某一个特别的时刻而预留着,因为你生活的每一天都是那么特别;

Search for knowledge,read more ,sit on your porch and admire the view without paying attention to your needs; 寻找更我的知识,多读一些书,坐在你家的前廊里,以赞美的眼光去享受眼前的风景,不要带上任何功利的想法;

Spend more time with your family and friends,eat your favorite foods,visit the places you love; 花多点时间和朋友与家人在一起,吃你爱吃的食物,去你想去的地方;

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment;not only about survival; 生活是一串串的快乐时光;我们不仅仅是为了生存而生存;

Use your crystal goblets.Do not save your best perfume,and use it every time you feel you want it. 举起你的水晶酒杯吧。不要吝啬洒上你最好的香水,你想用的时候就享用吧!

Remove from your vocabulary phrases like"one of these days"or "someday"; 从你的词汇库中移去所谓的“有那么一天”或者“某一天”;

Let's write that letter we thought of writing "one of these days"! 曾打算“有那么一天”去写的信,就在今天吧!

Let's tell our families and friends how much we love them; 告诉家人和朋友,我们是多么地爱他们;

Do not delay anything that adds laughter and joy to your life; 不要延迟任何可以给你的生活带来欢笑与快乐的事情;

Every day,every hour,and every minute is special; 每一天、每一小时、每一分钟都是那么特别;

And you don't know if it will be your last. 你无从知道这是否最后刻。

Satisfied with the mystery of life's eternity and with a knowledge, a sense of the marvelous structure of existence.

现金
4176 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-7-2 
最后登录
2012-6-16 
发表于 2005-10-27 23:30
世界上美丽的英文(4)

The life I desired 我所追求的生活

That must be the story of innumerable couples,and the pattern of lifeof life it offers has a homely grace.It reminds you of a placid rivulet,meandering smoohtly through green pastures and shaded by pleasant trees,till at last it falls into the vasty sea;but the sea is so calm,so silent,so infifferent,that you are troubled suddently by a vague uneasiness.Perhaps it is only by a kink in my nature,strong in me even in those days,that i felt in such an existence,the share of the great majority,something amiss.I recognized its social value.I saw its ordered happiness,but a fever in my blood asked for a wilder course.There seemed to me something alarming in such easy delights.In my heart was desire to live more dangerously.I was not unprepared for jagged rocks and treacherous,shoals it I could only have change-change and the exicitement of unforeseen.

这一定是世间无数对夫妻的生活写照,这种生活模式给人一种天伦之美。它使人想起一条平静的溪流,蜿蜒畅游过绿茵的草场,浓荫遮蔽,最后注入烟波浩渺的汪洋大海;但是大海太过平静,太过沉默,太过不动声色,你会突然感到莫名的不安。也许这只是我自己的一种怪诞想法,在那样的时代,这想法对我影响很深:我觉得这像大多数人一样的生活,似乎欠缺了一点儿什么。我承认这种生活有社会价值,我也看到了它那井然有序的幸福,但我血液里的冲动却渴望一种更桀骜不驯的旅程.这样的安逸中好像有一种叫我惊惧不安的东西.我的心渴望一种更加惊险的生活。只要生活中还能有变迁———以及不可知的刺激,我愿意踏上怪石嶙峋的山崖,奔赴暗礁满布的海滩。

Satisfied with the mystery of life's eternity and with a knowledge, a sense of the marvelous structure of existence.

现金
238 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2005-11-3 
最后登录
2009-8-25 
发表于 2005-11-3 02:46

re: 英文版三字经

The 英文版三字经 listed on the starting post above is the joke-version.

For the real 1910 version (translated by Herbert Giles), go to my web page:

http://users.openface.ca/~dstephen/trimetric.htm You will also find a link to a recent (about 3 years old) version as translated by a professor at Depauw university.

Please note: All existing versions found on Chinese BBSes originated from my Web page. How do I know that? Here is the story.

On day in 1969 ( plus or minus one year) I was rummaging through the stack at the University of Massachusetts when I came across a thin, worn out booklet with the title "The Trimetric Classic." To my surprise, it was a translation of the 三字经. In those days, photocopying was very expensive--25 cents U.S. a page. How much was 25 cents worth? A big mac was 35 cents. (given or take 10 cents). As a poor graduate student, I couldn't afford having all the pages photocopied, so I transcripted the whole translation down by hand. Needless to say, I made many mistakes in the process.

Years later, at the urging of some people at the Han Ying Bilingual forum, I put that up as a Web page so interested parties can view it freely. As you might have imagined more mistakes were introduced when I typed the darn thing in. Some clean-up have been done recently (1), but in the intervening years, people who copied the page, put it on their own BBSes without mentioning it as a reprint, or who the translator was, have inadvertantly copied the mistakes along with it. That's how I figured all those copies out there can be traced back to the same source. I don't mind people reprinting, but I do mind when some of them put it up as a [原创]. Others are not as audacious, they just would not mention it as a [转帖]. But when queried by their readers as to whether they were the translator, they kept mum about it; thus giving the impression they were the authors.

(1) A few months ago, someone from Norway sent me a list of my typos, and a version done in Unicode instead of GB. I have since posted that up on a separate page.

The Yeti, from the Treasure Island English Corner. Section II of the Rainlane BBS: http://www.rainlane.com (4 English Boards.)
‹ 上一主题|下一主题

肝胆相照论坛

GMT+8, 2024-9-30 21:33 , Processed in 0.021596 second(s), 10 queries , Gzip On.