1410 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-6-20 
最后登录
2010-10-30 
发表于 2005-7-7 01:23

A review of the new biography of Norbert Wiener, by Freeman Dyson.

Norbert Wiener is the inventor of "Wiener Measure", bread and butter of many statisticians now.

The review has a nice ending which briefs the relation of 2 ways of communication: analog and digital (the "bit" concept invented by Shannon). I never know the inventor of "Wiener Measure" has such great intellectual influence in this area.

I suffer from chronic apathy, I was going to go see a docter about it, but I didn\'t really care.

现金
2217 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-10-22 
最后登录
2009-12-15 
发表于 2005-7-7 14:36

Wiener, another Jewish genius!

His major contribution in communication can be categorized in filter theory, in which his optimal filter method dealing with statistic signal is named after his, 'Wiener filter'. Simply put it, it is optimal in the meaning of minimizing the mean square error, so-called 'MMSE ' in acronym. His other achievements can be found in the course 'signal and system', or in the larger scale field, 'cybernetics'.

But I dont know he has made some contribution to information theory, perhaps he has sparked some ideas. Indeed there is no basic difference between analogous and digital representation and treatment of signal or information. Every theory or rule in analog has its corressponding counterpart in digital, and vise versa, no exclusion as far as I know. The reason why the word 'digital' prevail in the world now lies on the truth that digital information can be operated and reserved more easily and is more invulnerable to interference and contamination. Shannon is the founder of information theory. But Weiner did make great influence in communication.

BTWwl, are you specialized in mathimatics?

Let life be beautiful like summer flowers and death like autumn leaves.

现金
1410 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-6-20 
最后登录
2010-10-30 
发表于 2005-7-8 03:14

No, no, no, no, no. I am suffering from "Dyscalculia", a lesser-known learning disability that affects methodical calculations. It is derived from the generic name "mathematics difficulty".

I have inconsistent results in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

I have poor mental mathematics ability.

I am poor with money and credit and cannot do financial planning or budgeting (e.g. balancing a checkbook). Short term and not long term financial thinking. May have fear of money and cash transactions. May be unable to mentally figure change due back, the amounts to pay for tips, taxes, etc…

When writing, reading and recalling numbers, these common mistakes are made: number additions, substitutions, transpositions, omissions, and reversals…so don’t give me any numbers, I will see double…

[em01][em03]
I suffer from chronic apathy, I was going to go see a docter about it, but I didn\'t really care.

现金
8760 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-10-22 
最后登录
2011-12-7 

荣誉之星 天天开星

发表于 2005-7-8 07:13

I have poor mental mathematics ability ,too.

Having Being afraid of it for many years

[em01][em01]
哪个九十七岁死,奈何桥上等三年。

现金
2217 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-10-22 
最后登录
2009-12-15 
发表于 2005-7-8 11:47
以下是引用Owl在2005-7-7 14:13:56的发言:

No, no, no, no, no. I am suffering from "Dyscalculia", a lesser-known learning disability that affects methodical calculations. It is derived from the generic name "mathematics difficulty".

I have inconsistent results in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

I have poor mental mathematics ability.

I am poor with money and credit and cannot do financial planning or budgeting (e.g. balancing a checkbook). Short term and not long term financial thinking. May have fear of money and cash transactions. May be unable to mentally figure change due back, the amounts to pay for tips, taxes, etc…

When writing, reading and recalling numbers, these common mistakes are made: number additions, substitutions, transpositions, omissions, and reversals…so don’t give me any numbers, I will see double…

[em01][em03]

take it easy. No person is without defects.

Let life be beautiful like summer flowers and death like autumn leaves.

现金
1410 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-6-20 
最后登录
2010-10-30 
发表于 2005-7-13 02:32

I'm off on vacation for 3-5 years... [em03] J/K, J/K...

‹ 上一主题|下一主题

肝胆相照论坛

GMT+8, 2024-10-2 10:31 , Processed in 0.014737 second(s), 11 queries , Gzip On.