2004-6-20 
最后登录
2010-10-30 
发表于 2005-8-1 22:32
以下是引用彩虹玫瑰在2005-7-29 19:24:18的发言:

he must be a professional web worm...

[em03][em03][em03]

Am I?

How did you find out and how much do you know me personally?

[em02]
I suffer from chronic apathy, I was going to go see a docter about it, but I didn\'t really care.

现金
2091 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-12-22 
最后登录
2007-7-31 
发表于 2005-8-1 22:39
以下是引用owl在2005-8-1 9:32:21的发言:

Am I?

How did you find out and how much do you know me personally?

[em02]

Generally you are a stranger for me, i just know that i can often see you irragating happily in the english forum...
I have spread my dreams under your feet, Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

现金
1410 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-6-20 
最后登录
2010-10-30 
发表于 2005-8-1 23:53

1. About "webworm": (a little history and biology)

The “webworm” actually is originally an insect living common along Gulf Coast and southern Atlantic Coast states. Those pests attack cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower and other crucifers, in addition to woods and trees. Now people use "webworm" for webworm virus and person being in love with Internet. [em01]

2. About the strangers

The fact the matter is I don’t think we are totally strangers. Of course, you, as well as everyone here, are totally an unknown person and this forum is fairly a new place to me. However, we almost see each other everyday or at least every other day. This makes us “familiar strangers”.

As humans we live and interact across a wildly diverse set of physical spaces. We each formulate our own personal meaning of place using a myriad of observable cues such as public-private, large-small, daytime-nighttime, loud quiet, and crowded-empty. Unsurprisingly, it is the people with which we share such spaces that dominate our perception of place. Sometimes these people are friends, family and colleagues. Like Intel research indicated, more often, and particularly in public urban spaces we inhabit, the individuals who affect us are ones that we repeatedly observe and yet do not directly interact with – our Familiar Strangers. This research project explores our often-ignored yet real relationships with Familiar Strangers. They describe several experiments and studies that lead to a design for a personal, body-worn, wireless device that extends the Familiar Stranger relationship while respecting the delicate, yet important, constraints of our feelings and relationships with strangers in public places.

The Familiar Stranger is a social phenomenon first addressed by the psychologist Stanley Milgram in his 1972 essay on the subject. Familiar Strangers are individuals that we regularly observe but do not interact with. By definition a Familiar Stranger (1) must be observed, (2) repeatedly, and (3) without any interaction. The claim is that the relationship we have with these Familiar Strangers is indeed a real relationship in which both parties agree to mutually ignore each other, without any implications of hostility. A good example is a person that one sees on the subway every morning. If that person fails to appear, we notice.

Familiar Strangers form a border zone between people we know and the completely unknown strangers we encounter once and never see again. While we are bound to the people we know by a circle of social reciprocity, no such bond exists between complete strangers and us. Familiar Strangers buffer the middle ground between these two relationships. Because we encounter them regularly in familiar settings, they establish our connection to individual places.

See, we are not true strangers. [em02]

3. About happiness

I am irrigating happily in the English forum (but probably elsewhere). Hum…I guess I need to express my wretched side some time. One day if I become very ugly toward people, I need your forgiveness. [em03]

[此贴子已经被作者于2005-8-1 10:55:13编辑过]

I suffer from chronic apathy, I was going to go see a docter about it, but I didn\'t really care.

现金
1410 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-6-20 
最后登录
2010-10-30 
发表于 2005-8-2 00:17

Do you know there is poem about Rainbow Rose by Emily Dickinson?

On this long storm the Rainbow rose

On this long storm the Rainbow rose --
On this late Morn -- the Sun --
The clouds -- like listless Elephants --
Horizons -- straggled down --

The Birds rose smiling, in their nests --
The gales -- indeed -- were done --
Alas, how heedless were the eyes --
On whom the summer shone!

The quiet nonchalance of death --
No Daybreak -- can bestir --
The slow -- Archangel's syllables
Must awaken her!

现金
2091 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-12-22 
最后登录
2007-7-31 
发表于 2005-8-2 06:34

How can you express your wretch side to us here ?

it must be a terrible thing.... be gentle,

xixi ,be a gentleman and express your tenderness to everyone here.

you , a debater, i , agree with you

-----------------

broccoli, and cauliflower -----> are they the same thing?花椰菜

and the words "crucifers",i can't find it in my dictionary, i guess it maybe means 十字花科

comply with rules -----------------submit to disciplines

myriad--》uncountalbe many ,for example, butterfly 's wings has myriad scales.....

[此贴子已经被作者于2005-8-1 17:36:06编辑过]

I have spread my dreams under your feet, Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

现金
2091 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-12-22 
最后登录
2007-7-31 
发表于 2005-8-2 06:38
以下是引用Owl在2005-8-1 11:16:31的发言:

Do you know there is poem about Rainbow Rose by Emily Dickinson?

On this long storm the Rainbow rose

On this long storm the Rainbow rose --
On this late Morn -- the Sun --
The clouds -- like listless Elephants --
Horizons -- straggled down --

The Birds rose smiling, in their nests --
The gales -- indeed -- were done --
Alas, how heedless were the eyes --
On whom the summer shone!

The quiet nonchalance of death --
No Daybreak -- can bestir --
The slow -- Archangel's syllables
Must awaken her!

Dear Mr.Owl, can you translate the poem to Rose and other else here?

Thx...

[em09][em15]

现金
1410 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-6-20 
最后登录
2010-10-30 
发表于 2005-8-2 18:38
以下是引用彩虹玫瑰在2005-8-1 17:34:25的发言:

How can you express your wretch side to us here ?

it must be a terrible thing.... be gentle,

xixi ,be a gentleman and express your tenderness to everyone here.

you , a debater, i , agree with you

-----------------

broccoli, and cauliflower -----> are they the same thing?花椰菜

and the words "crucifers",i can't find it in my dictionary, i guess it maybe means 十字花科

comply with rules -----------------submit to disciplines

myriad--》uncountalbe many ,for example, butterfly 's wings has myriad scales.....

Broccoli is green and cauliflower is white.

You are right about crucifers. Consume broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage said to be avoided cancer.

Comply with rules = obey the rules

Myriad = countless, numberless

Hum…to translate it into Chinese? I probably can’t as it will lose it unique meaning. I think your English is good enough to understand the significance.

现金
1410 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-6-20 
最后登录
2010-10-30 
发表于 2005-8-2 19:00
I have been feeling horrible those days since last Wednesday. How come?

现金
10616 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2003-12-25 
最后登录
2020-7-20 

荣誉之星 大财主勋章 如鱼得水 心灵港湾 幸福四叶草 红旗手

发表于 2005-8-29 11:30

摆花架子 a metaphor for presenting an attractive facade but in reality lacking substance

ps: metaphor 隐喻,暗喻
facade 外表,外观

白马王子:Prince Charming

背黑锅:become a scapegoat(替罪羊)

博导:Ph.D.supervisor;doctoral advisor

博士后:post-doctoral

博士生:Ph.D candidate

表面文章:lip service;surface formality

永远面对现实,进取多于防卫。

现金
2091 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2004-12-22 
最后登录
2007-7-31 
发表于 2005-8-29 11:32

摆花架子 a metaphor for presenting an attractive facade but in reality lacking substance

ps: metaphor 隐喻,暗喻
facade 外表,外观

白马王子:Prince Charming

背黑锅:become a scapegoat(替罪羊)

博导:Ph.D.supervisor;doctoral advisor

博士后:post-doctoral

博士生:Ph.D candidate

表面文章:lip service;surface formality

‹ 上一主题|下一主题

肝胆相照论坛

GMT+8, 2024-9-30 21:21 , Processed in 0.017410 second(s), 10 queries , Gzip On.