注册时间
2001-11-22 
最后登录
2024-7-3 

管理员或超版 一品御批懒惰勋章 大财主勋章 维基大牛 天天开星 金嗓子 艺术家 健康之翼 麦霸勋章 幸福风车 恭喜发财 人中之龙 TEST

发表于 2002-11-12 06:29
[B]Lesson 2[/B]

[B]Vocabulary list #2[/B]

[B]1. documentation[/B]: official written information about something or someone.
"Do you have the documentation for the new phone system we ordered?"

[B]2. specifics[/B]: the details, the concrete aspects
"Once the company agrees to the general outline of the proposal, we can begin to discuss specifics."

[B]3. specs[/B]: short for "specifics"; the quantitative technical details of a device or machine.
"Can you give me the specs on this new computer?" [i.e., RAM, processing speed, etc.)

[B]4. detailed[/B]: itemized, specific.
"The accounting department requires us to keep a detailed list of expenditures for each month."

[B]5. break down(verb)[/B]: to stop functioning; [B]breakdown (none)[/B]: an incident of something failing to work normally.
"The copy machine breaks down every week because so many people use it."
"The taxi had a breakdown on the highway in the middle of rush hour."

[B]6. for the time being[/B]: temporarily; a state continuing for an indefinite period into the immediate future.
"My car isn't working, so for the time being I'm taking the bus to work."

[B]7. in the meantime[/B]: during the period between one point in time and another.
"The conference at the China World Hotel is next Monday. In the meantime, we should do everything we can to get ready for it."

[B]8. in the foreseeable future[/B]: for the tiem in the future for which predictions can be reasonably made.
"the mobile phone market should be stable in the foreseeable future."

[B]9. in the near future[/B]: for a short time into the future.
"We don't foresee any problems with the economy in the near future."

[B]10. go ahead[/B]: (spoken in response to someone else) I understand, you may continue; yes, I'm listening; I agree, you have my permission.
A: I have tomorrow's schedule. Do you want to hear it?
B: Okay, go ahead.

A: May I borrow your stapler?
B: Sure, go ahead.

[B]Sentence patterns[/B]
[U]Agreeing[/U]

. That's a good idea.
. I agree with that.
. Yes, I'm with you.
. That's okay with me.
. I have no problem with that.
. That sounds good.
. That sounds fine to me.
. That's a good point.
. Sure, we can give it a try.
. I can go for that.

[B]Pronunciation exercise: Letters of the alphabet[/B]

[B]Politeness tip[/B]

[U]Names[/U]
          Americans, British people, and many Europeans tend to address each other by name(either by first name or Mr./Mrs./Miss + surname) with greater frequency than is customary in Chinese. It is especially important to address the other person by name at the beginings or endings of an interaction. this is especially the case with good friends or people you know well, but it also applies in formal situations. for example:

there is no need to worry a great deal about this, or to say anything that seems unnatural or awkward to you. Just be aware that names are used somewhat more often in many yWestern contexts, and it often doesn't hurt to address the person by their name more often during your conversations. It simply sounds friendlier.

[I]Supplement[/I]

[B]Confirmation/Clarification:
. So are saying that...
. Do you mean...
. Do you mean to say...
. Is your point that...
. Let me say if I understand your point...?
. Let me make sure I'm following u...?
. Is that what you mean to say...?
. Is that what you are saying...?
. Have I understand you correctly...?
. That's what you mean, right?

BTW, I'm glad that I have used some sentence patterns in our English chatting last friday night.
It means I had made progress already. doesn't it?
[em07]

[此贴子已经被liverbj于2002-11-11 16:29:42编辑过]

有没有一首歌会让你想起我。。。

现金
20181 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-11-22 
最后登录
2024-7-3 

发表于 2002-11-14 04:23
昨天去听一个seminar,所以没有上来。抱歉。

[B]Lesson 3[/B]

[B]Sentence patterns[/B]
A problem often encountered on the telephone, during a conference call, or even during an ordinary meaning is that the listener has trouble hearing what the other person says, due to background noise, a bad phone connection, or other distractions. Here are some patterns to use in such cases.

[U]What to say when you don't hear clearly[/U]
. Sorry?
. Pardon?
. Excuse me?
. I'm sorry, I didn't [U]quite[/U] catch/get that. Could you repeat it?
. I didn't [U]quite[/U] follow you. Could you say it once more?
. Coul you say it again?
. Sorry, I didn't hear that clearly. What was it again?
. Would you mind saying that again?
. Could you give me that again?
. Sorry, I'm having trouble hearing you. Could you speak up a (little) bit?
. Sorry, the line is not very clear. Could you say that again?
. There's a lot of static(静电噪音) on the line. I can't hear you clearly.
. There's some problem with the phone line. I can't make out what you're saying.
Sorry, this line is not very clear. Could you speak a little closer to the phone?

[U]What to say when you understand most of a sentence, but missed one small part of it.[/U]

When youhave understood most of what the other person said, it is clearly a waste of time to have them repeat the entire sentence. There are several ways you can let the other person know that they need only repeat part of the message. For example:
A: I would like you to fax me a list of the [U]Hangzhou[/U] clients.
B: You would like me to fax a list of [U]which[/U] clients?

A: I won't be able to attend the conference sessions on the 10th or [U]13th[/U].
B: you say you won't be able to attend on the 10th and [U]what other day[/U]?

A: I've written a summary of the error messages, and I need you to pass it on to [U]Zheng[/U] so he can add his own list of problems to it.
B: I understood everything about the summary, but [U]who did you say to pass it on to[/U]?

A: That line should read:m/s/[U]dir[/U].
B: You said 'm/s/' [U]and then what[/U]? or: [U]what comes after[/U] 'm/s' again?

These are just a few examples. Basically they all involve repeating part of the original message yourself and inserting a question word or phrase at the part you didn't understand. This often helps to pinpoint the source of misunderstanding in the quicker and more efficient way.
有没有一首歌会让你想起我。。。

现金
20181 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-11-22 
最后登录
2024-7-3 

发表于 2002-11-15 01:25
[B]Lesson 4[/B]

[B]Vocabulary list #3[/B]

1. [B]initiate:[/B] to start, to take mesures to begin something
"There was more disagreement about the price of our services, so we had to initiate a new round of negotiations."

2. [B]resume:[/B] to start up again(verb). [B]resume'[/B](none, 简历)
"The meeting will break for lunch now, and we'll resume at 1:00 this afternoon."

3. [B]wrap up:[/B] to conclude, end
"Okay, let's wrap up the meeting today, and we'll discuss this next time."

4. [B]oversight: a slight error due to carelessness or lack of attention
"This underpayment was just an oversight on our part; we'll send you the additional payment soon."

5. [B]best judgment:[/B] a careful assessment or decision based on incomplete or insufficient evidence
"I have no idea what the best Internet Service Provider is in Shanghai. When you go there and set up an Internet account, you'll just have to use your best judgment."

6. [B]estimate(none):[/B] an approximate or rough calculation; [B]guesstimate(slang):[/B]: a best guess, a routgh estimate based on little information
"Based on our figures for this year, the estimate for sales of this PC next year is about 1,500 unites."
"I don't have any data on the error rate for this device. I can only give you a guesstimate."

7. [B]indication:[/B] a sign of something, evidence for something
"Excessive heat in the hard drive is an indication of a possible malfunction."

8. [B] troubleshoot:[/B] to investigate the source of a prolem(with hardware, etc.)
"Our local computer network keeps getting infected by the same virus. could you troubleshoot the cause of the problem for us?"

9. [B]put up with[/B]: to tolerate, to bear, to accept without complaint
"We'd like to thank you for putting up with these delays; we appreciate your patience."

10. [B]step-by-step[/B]: in a methodical manner, in the proper order of a sequence
"Maybe if we install the software again step-by-step, wd can find out what we did wrong the first time."

[B]Dialogue[/B]

A: When should I get back to you about this?
B: Would Tuesday be too soon?
A: No, that would be just fine. Would you like me to set up an appointment with the technical staff so we can troubleshoot the problem?
B: That would be helpful. We could go through the shole procedure step-by-step.
A: Fine. I'll get on it right away. Thank you for putting up with all this scheduling.
B: No problem. Do you have any estimate about how long this will take?
A: I can't be sure. If past experience is any indication, we should be able to finish with everything in a few days. I think we should see how much progress we make at the next meeting.
B: Good idea. I have one more question. How many copies of the technical report should I bring with me to the meeting? Would 30 be enough?
A: We won't know for sure how many will be there until the day of the meeting. I guess you should just use your best judgment.

[B]Sentence patterns[/B]
[U]The subjunctive[/U]
English uses the subjunctive mood a great deal in formal or polite situations. While it is perfectly "legal" grammatically to use regular tenses in professional and social situations, English speakers use the subjunctive so extensively that failing to use it in the appropriate place  tends to sound matter-of-fact or even rude.

[B]Instead of saying:[/B]                      [B]Say this:[/B]
What is your name?                              Could I have your name?
Call me later.                                         Could you call me later?
Do you want to eat lunch now?             Would you like to eat lunch now?
Say that again?                                     Could/would you say that again?
Is that okay with you?                          Would that be okay with you?
Will you wait for a minute?                    Could/would you wait for a minute?

[U]Exercise[/U]
Fill in the blanks choosing words from the following list. Many of the blanks have more thatn one possible solution.

might               could            possibly
perhaps           maybe          may
should             ought to       will

One morning my computer won't boot. What's the problem? There[U]          [/U]be a number of possible explanations. It[U]          [/U]be that the hard disk is damaged. But that seems unlikely, since it's a new one. [U]          [/U]the monitor is not turned on. I check it and find that is is on. So that's not the problem. I wonder if it[U]          [/U]be a faulty cable. So I[U]          [/U]check the cables to be sure. They seem okay. Why is this so complicated? I[U]          [/U]be able to solve this problem! Then it occurs to me that I[U]          [/U]have forgotten to plug the machine in. And, indeed, that was the problem. How[U]          [/U]I be so stupid?
有没有一首歌会让你想起我。。。

现金
8840 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2002-8-22 
最后登录
2018-5-18 

荣誉之星

发表于 2002-11-15 08:09
发给我,我有空帮你传到服务器上!
revelation = easy

现金
20181 元 
精华
帖子
注册时间
2001-11-22 
最后登录
2024-7-3 

发表于 2002-11-16 12:16
太大了。
有没有一首歌会让你想起我。。。
‹ 上一主题|下一主题

肝胆相照论坛

GMT+8, 2024-9-30 20:02 , Processed in 0.017144 second(s), 10 queries , Gzip On.